Question: How do I calculate conditional probability in this scenario?

In summary: So the numerator will be:P(U|S) = \frac{P(S|U)\cdot P(U)}{P(S)} = \frac{(\frac{90,000}{1,000,000}) \cdot P(U)}{(\frac{540,000}{1,000,000})} = 0.667
Leanna
View attachment 6274
i am trying to push myself and learn these furTher exercises in my maths i would any appreciate any comments and help.

Question 1 what is probability u happens if n happens... P(U INTERSECTION N) / P(U)?

Question 2 probability of U or S happening in the sample space of UDP or 52 byte size packet? Let me think hmmm
450,000: UDP, 20% UDP 450,000 times 0.2 answr correct?? :)

Question 3 pick at random packet and packet of size 52. 1million packet so (0.2*450,000)+(0.9*500,000) correct again? :)

Question 4 probabalility u happens given s happens and is type of UDP ok P(U intersection S) / P(U)?

Question 5 not of size 52 bytes and is UDP so probability of U given N oh ok.
P(U intersection N) / P(N) = (450,000 INTERSECTION (450,000 * 0.8)) / (450000*0.8+500,000 * 0.1)?
Sample size of anything is equal to 1.

Nevertheless i am not quite sure i am appreciating insight and help, thanks.

Attachments

• edd157664709d4f62651ca7cd733220d.png
    edd157664709d4f62651ca7cd733220d.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 71
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Leanna said:
i am trying to push myself and learn these furTher exercises in my maths i would any appreciate any comments and help.

Question 1 what is probability u happens if n happens... P(U INTERSECTION N) / P(U)?

Question 2 probability of U or S happening in the sample space of UDP or 52 byte size packet? Let me think hmmm
450,000: UDP, 20% UDP 450,000 times 0.2 answr correct?? :)

Question 3 pick at random packet and packet of size 52. 1million packet so (0.2*450,000)+(0.9*500,000) correct again? :)

Question 4 probabalility u happens given s happens and is type of UDP ok P(U intersection S) / P(U)?

Question 5 not of size 52 bytes and is UDP so probability of U given N oh ok.
P(U intersection N) / P(N) = (450,000 INTERSECTION (450,000 * 0.8)) / (450000*0.8+500,000 * 0.1)?
Sample size of anything is equal to 1.

Nevertheless i am not quite sure i am appreciating insight and help, thanks.

Hi Leanna, (Wave)

Welcome to MHB!

Let me see if I can try to help some...

Here is what you correctly stated : \(\displaystyle P(U|N) = \frac{P(U \cap N)}{P(N)}\).

This is a question on Bayes' Theorem. Usually we can rewrite the above in an equivalent way:

\(\displaystyle P(U|N) = \frac{P(U \cap N)}{P(N)} = \frac{P(N|U)\cdot P(U)}{P(N)}\)

Looking at this it makes sense that the first question written on the page is $P(N|U)$. Do you have any idea what this probability is? :)

Answer to first q
P(n|u) = 0.8 right?
P(n|t) = 0.1 right ? and

Second question answer is 0.05?

Leanna said:
Answer to first q
P(n|u) = 0.8 right?
P(n|t) = 0.1 right ? and

Yes these both sound correct to me.

To finish answering your first question, what is $P(U)$ and what is $P(N)$ (this one is trickier)?

Jameson said:
Yes these both sound correct to me.

To finish answering your first question, what is $P(U)$ and what is $P(N)$ (this one is trickier)?

I worked that out but is the last question 0.667 (3d.p), the reason I'm not sure about this last question is because the approximations at the bottom is different.

And is the second to last question I think: $P(U|S)$ = (90,000/1,000,000) / (540,000/1,000,000)
Only these two I'm not completely sure it's right, what do you think? 😁

Leanna said:
I worked that out but is the last question 0.667 (3d.p), the reason I'm not sure about this last question is because the approximations at the bottom is different.

And is the second to last question I think: $P(U|S)$ = (90,000/1,000,000) / (540,000/1,000,000)
Only these two I'm not completely sure it's right, what do you think? 😁

\(\displaystyle P(U|S) = \frac{P(S|U)\cdot P(U)}{P(S)}\)

The numerator has two components to multiply and $P(S)$ can be expanded into two cases using the Law of Total Probability. $P(S)=P(S|U)\cdot P(U)+P(S|T)\cdot P(T)$.

Related to Question: How do I calculate conditional probability in this scenario?

1. What is probability confusion?

Probability confusion refers to the difficulty in understanding and accurately interpreting the likelihood of an event occurring. It is a common issue in the field of statistics and can lead to incorrect conclusions being drawn from data analysis.

2. What causes probability confusion?

There are several factors that can contribute to probability confusion, such as a lack of understanding of basic probability concepts, misinterpretation of data, and biases in thinking. Additionally, complex or counterintuitive probability problems can also lead to confusion.

3. How can probability confusion be avoided?

To avoid probability confusion, it is important to have a solid understanding of basic probability principles and to approach problems systematically. It can also be helpful to seek clarification and guidance from an expert or to use visual aids and simulations to better understand the concepts.

4. Can probability confusion be harmful?

Yes, probability confusion can be harmful as it can lead to incorrect decisions or conclusions being made based on data. This can have consequences in various fields, such as finance, medicine, and research. It is important to strive for accurate understanding and interpretation of probability to avoid negative outcomes.

5. How can we improve our understanding of probability?

Improving our understanding of probability involves studying and practicing basic probability concepts, seeking clarification and guidance when needed, and being open-minded to new information and perspectives. It can also be helpful to engage in critical thinking and to continuously challenge and test our understanding through problem-solving and analysis.