Average Force and Momentum: What is the Relationship Between Impulse and Force?

In summary, the problem discusses the average force exerted on a wall by molecules striking it at regular intervals. This is calculated by finding the total impulse imparted to the wall by the molecules and dividing it by the time interval. The relationship between impulse and force is used to determine the average force.
e(ho0n3
Hi everyone,

I'm having a hard time understanding this problem: A molecule of mass m and speed v strikes a wall at right angles and rebounds with the same speed. If molecules, all of this type, strike the wall at intervals a time t apart (on the average) what is the average force on the wall averaged over a long time.

What do they mean averaged over a long time? I don't even know how long the collision is.

e(ho0n3

Physics news on Phys.org
e(ho0n3 said:
Hi everyone,

I'm having a hard time understanding this problem: A molecule of mass m and speed v strikes a wall at right angles and rebounds with the same speed. If molecules, all of this type, strike the wall at intervals a time t apart (on the average) what is the average force on the wall averaged over a long time.

What do they mean averaged over a long time? I don't even know how long the collision is.

e(ho0n3

That's WHY they ask for the force "averaged over a long time". A molecule of mass m and speed v has momentum mv. If it rebounds with the same speed (but opposite velocity) then it has momentum -mv: a total change in momentum of 2mv. That's the "impulse" the wall has imparted to it and the impulse the molecule imparts to the wall ("for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction").
v Since a molecule strikes the wall at "time t apart (on the average)", in a long time T, approximately T/t molecules will strike the wall and those molecules will impart a total impulse of (T/t)(2mv) to the wall. Now, what is the relationship between "impulse" and "force"?

HallsofIvy said:
That's WHY they ask for the force "averaged over a long time". A molecule of mass m and speed v has momentum mv. If it rebounds with the same speed (but opposite velocity) then it has momentum -mv: a total change in momentum of 2mv. That's the "impulse" the wall has imparted to it and the impulse the molecule imparts to the wall ("for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction").
v Since a molecule strikes the wall at "time t apart (on the average)", in a long time T, approximately T/t molecules will strike the wall and those molecules will impart a total impulse of (T/t)(2mv) to the wall. Now, what is the relationship between "impulse" and "force"?

I think I see what you're getting at. So,
[tex]\frac{T}{t}2mv = \int_{0}^{T}{F dt}[/tex]
Then the average force is
[tex]\frac{1}{T}\int_{0}^{T}{F dt}=\frac{2mv}{t}[/tex]

I guess I wasn't thinking in terms of the TOTAL impulse on the wall since the impulse occurs only during the strikes. The more of these physics problems I do, the dumber I seem to get.

Thanks,
e(ho0n3

1. What is average force?

Average force refers to the overall force exerted on an object over a period of time. It is calculated by dividing the total force by the duration of time over which it was applied.

2. How is average force related to momentum?

Average force and momentum are directly related. Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. Average force, on the other hand, is the rate of change of an object's momentum. This means that the average force acting on an object is directly proportional to its change in momentum over time.

3. What is the difference between average force and instantaneous force?

Instantaneous force refers to the force exerted on an object at a specific moment in time, while average force is calculated over a period of time. Instantaneous force can vary greatly, while average force gives a more general idea of the overall force acting on an object.

4. How is average force measured?

Average force is measured in units of newtons (N). It can be calculated by using a force sensor or by using the formula: force = mass x acceleration.

5. What are some real-life examples of average force and momentum?

Examples of average force and momentum can be seen in sports, such as when a soccer player kicks a ball, a basketball player shoots a ball, or a race car accelerates on a track. In all of these situations, an average force is applied to an object, resulting in a change in its momentum.