Question: Gravitational Potential Energy in a Ball-Earth-Moon system?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential and mechanical energy of a ball being thrown and caught on Earth and how it would be affected by the presence of the Moon. The potential energy of the ball decreases when it falls and is converted into kinetic energy. In the ball-Earth-Moon system, the change in potential energy would be smaller compared to the ball-Earth system due to the difference in mass and distance. The graph of energy vs. time for both systems would be similar, with the potential energy rising to a peak before falling back down and the kinetic energy starting high, dropping to zero, and then rising again.
centauri
Hello, here's a questions I was wondering if any of you could solve. I don't have the exact numbers, but the scenario is this: a guy standing on the Earth throws a ball upwards and catches it a few seconds later.

How does would affect the potential energy and/or mechanical energy of the ball-Earth system? (Specifically, how might the graph of energy vs. time look like?)

Then, how would this affect the potential energy and/or mechanical energy of the ball-Earth-Moon system?

Any responses would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Potential energy of the ball will be utilized when it will fall .The energy we gave to ball was stored in form of potential energy converted into kinetic energy at the time of falling.

iqra toheed said:
Potential energy of the ball will be utilized when it will fall .The energy we gave to ball was stored in form of potential energy converted into kinetic energy at the time of falling.

So the potential energy of the ball will decrease in the ball-Earth system...but how about the Ball-Earth-Moon system?

Please...anyone, this is a concept I'm really struggling with.

centauri said:
How does would affect the potential energy and/or mechanical energy of the ball-Earth system? (Specifically, how might the graph of energy vs. time look like?)

I'm not 100% sure if the following is correct, but from the work I've done in my physics 210 class I believe it works as follows.

Ignoring the energy that put the ball into motion in the first place, the graph of the total energy is a flat line, the potential energy rises to a peak before falling back down, and the kinetic energy starts high,drops to zero, then rises again as the ball accelerates downward. Once the person catches the ball the K.E. is zero and the potential energy is back to its original value.

centauri said:
Then, how would this affect the potential energy and/or mechanical energy of the ball-Earth-Moon system?

It would look very similar to the above since the change in potential energy of the ball in the Moon's gravity is much smaller than the change in potential energy due to Earth's gravity. The Earth is both much more massive and much closer than the Moon is, so the change in potential energy as the ball goes up and comes down is much larger for the ball-Earth than for the ball-Moon.

Thank you so much! That seems much clearer to me now.

Related to Question: Gravitational Potential Energy in a Ball-Earth-Moon system?

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the amount of work required to move the object from its current position to a reference point, usually at infinity, without changing its kinetic energy.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The formula for gravitational potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object relative to the reference point. In a ball-Earth-Moon system, the formula is slightly more complex and takes into account the mass and distance of all three objects.

3. How does the distance between the objects affect gravitational potential energy?

The gravitational potential energy between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the objects decreases, the gravitational potential energy increases.

4. How does gravitational potential energy affect the motion of objects in a ball-Earth-Moon system?

Gravitational potential energy plays a crucial role in the motion of objects in a ball-Earth-Moon system. It is responsible for the orbits of the Moon around the Earth and the Earth around the Sun. Objects with high gravitational potential energy tend to move towards objects with lower gravitational potential energy, resulting in the gravitational pull and orbits observed in this system.

5. How does the concept of gravitational potential energy relate to the general theory of relativity?

In the general theory of relativity, gravitational potential energy is a component of the larger concept of gravitational potential, which includes the effects of both gravity and acceleration on the energy of an object. This theory explains how the curvature of space and time caused by massive objects, such as the Earth and Moon, can affect the gravitational potential energy and motion of objects in their vicinity.