Question for Schottky diode

• Thread starter Guessist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diode
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in frequency response between Schottky diodes and pn diodes. The speaker is seeking help in understanding why Schottky diodes have a better frequency response. They also mention having studied semiconductor basics and reviewing recently.
Guessist
I studied semiconductor basic long time ago... So I've reviewed these days.
For a while, i got a question about Schottky diode's frequency response.
That is Schottky diode has more awesome frequency response than pn diode.
Why does Schottky diode has good frequency response?
Somebody help me... I need your help...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Guessist said:
I studied semiconductor basic long time ago... So I've reviewed these days.
For a while, i got a question about Schottky diode's frequency response.
That is Schottky diode has more awesome frequency response than pn diode.
Why does Schottky diode has good frequency response?
Somebody help me... I need your help...

Welcome to the PF.

What has your reading told you so far about the differences between standard and Schottky diodes? What kind of property would affect the frequency response of a diode?

Related to Question for Schottky diode

1. What is a Schottky diode and how does it work?

A Schottky diode is a type of semiconductor diode that is commonly used in electronic circuits. It is made up of a metal-semiconductor junction, which allows for fast switching and low forward voltage drop. When a positive voltage is applied to the anode and a negative voltage is applied to the cathode, current will flow through the diode. However, if the polarity is reversed, the diode will act as an open circuit and no current will flow.

2. What are the advantages of using a Schottky diode?

One of the main advantages of Schottky diodes is their fast switching speed. They also have a lower forward voltage drop compared to other diode types, which means less power is wasted in the diode. Additionally, Schottky diodes can handle higher currents and have better performance at high frequencies.

3. What are some common applications of Schottky diodes?

Schottky diodes are commonly used in power supply circuits, where their fast switching speed and low voltage drop make them ideal for rectifying AC to DC. They are also used in high-frequency circuits, such as radio frequency detectors and mixers, and in digital logic circuits for high-speed switching.

4. Can Schottky diodes be used in reverse polarity protection?

Yes, Schottky diodes are often used for reverse polarity protection in electronic circuits. When connected in reverse polarity, the diode will act as an open circuit and prevent any damage to the circuit from reverse voltage.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using Schottky diodes?

One limitation of Schottky diodes is their lower breakdown voltage compared to other diode types, which means they are not suitable for high voltage applications. They also have a higher leakage current compared to other diode types, which may affect their use in precision circuits. Additionally, Schottky diodes may suffer from thermal runaway at high temperatures, which can affect their performance and reliability.