100 years of flight: today

In summary, The Wright Brothers were incredible engineers who designed and built the Wright Flyer using a model tested in a crude wind-tunnel, engineered highly efficient wooden propellers, and created their own IC engine from scratch. Despite their limited budget and backgrounds, they were able to master a broad range of engineering disciplines in their spare time, showcasing their incredible mindset and determination. Their accomplishments continue to astound and inspire.
Achy47
I have been reading into some of the engineering behind the Wright Flyer. It's pretty astounding. These guys were truly amazing.

Some particular points that I find interesting.

1)The airfoil design: They designed and tested a model using a crude wind-tunnel.

2)The propellor design: They engineered wood propellers which were amazingly efficient (even by todays standards: give or take)

3)They designed and built their own IC engine from scratch since they couldn't afford (or find) a commercial product meting their requirements. :|

4)They didn't die in the project.

Is it just me or were these guys in a league of their own, especially when you consider their backgrounds and budget? How did they master such a broad range of engineering discipline in their spare time? I am feeling very small at this point: so I will stop now.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Achy47
Is it just me or were these guys in a league of their own, especially when you consider their backgrounds and budget? How did they master such a broad range of engineering discipline in their spare time?
Scientists and engineers think a lot alike. They had the required mindset and the tenacity to use it to find the answer. Amazing, but not unforseeable.

I completely agree with you, the Wright brothers were truly exceptional engineers and pioneers in the field of aviation. It's incredible to think that they were able to achieve what they did with limited resources and in their spare time. Their determination and dedication to their craft is truly inspiring.

The fact that they were able to design and test their own airfoil and propeller designs, as well as build their own engine, is a testament to their ingenuity and problem-solving skills. They were not afraid to take on new challenges and push the boundaries of what was thought to be possible.

It's also impressive that they didn't give up, even when faced with setbacks and failures. Their perseverance and determination ultimately led to the success of their flight on December 17, 1903. They truly embodied the saying "where there's a will, there's a way."

Their accomplishments are even more remarkable when you consider their backgrounds and limited budget. They were not highly educated or wealthy individuals, yet they were able to achieve what many thought was impossible at the time. They truly were in a league of their own and their legacy continues to inspire and shape the aviation industry today.

Overall, the Wright brothers' story is a reminder that with determination, hard work, and a passion for innovation, anything is possible. They have left a lasting impact on the world and their contributions to aviation will always be remembered and celebrated.

What is the significance of 100 years of flight?

The significance of 100 years of flight is that it marks a major milestone in human history, as it represents the first time that humans were able to successfully fly in an aircraft. This achievement opened up a whole new world of possibilities and revolutionized the way we travel and transport goods.

Who invented the first successful airplane?

The first successful airplane was invented by the Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, in 1903. They designed and built the Wright Flyer, which flew for 12 seconds and covered a distance of 120 feet.

How has flight technology evolved over the past 100 years?

Flight technology has evolved significantly over the past 100 years, with advancements in aircraft design, engine technology, materials, and navigation systems. We have gone from the basic biplane to supersonic jets and now have the capability to fly to space.

What impact has 100 years of flight had on society?

The impact of 100 years of flight on society is immense. It has made the world more connected, enabling people to travel faster and more efficiently. It has also played a crucial role in transportation, commerce, and warfare. Moreover, the aviation industry has created millions of jobs and contributed significantly to the global economy.

What does the future of flight look like?

The future of flight is exciting and promising. With advancements in technology, we can expect to see more efficient and sustainable aircraft, such as electric and hybrid planes. There is also ongoing research in supersonic and hypersonic travel, which could drastically reduce flight times. Additionally, the development of commercial space travel could open up a whole new era of air transportation.