Question: does the physical curvature of spacetime ever move ?

In summary, the conversation is about the concept of spacetime curvature and its relationship to the passage of time. The speaker is questioning the idea of a "continuum" in relation to spacetime, and is unsure of how to visualize it. They mention the possibility of time being the continuum, but are not entirely sure. The conversation also includes a technical explanation of 3D+1 slices of spacetime.
Seminole Boy
Question: does the physical curvature of spacetime ever "move"?

Something isn't adding up with Einstein's theory--or, more likely, I'm just not understanding it correctly!

How can we say that the curvatures of spacetime created by the presence of stress-energy is giving us a continuum? When I think of a continuum, I think of something like a tunnel. But it cannot be so! If all motion is relative, how can we have this tunnel?

Yeah, sure we live and die, so we like to think of the world in time-like ways, but if I'm reading Einstein's theory right, I don't see how we can look at spacetime curvature as anything more than a localized dent in space (that cannot be regarded as being bent in any kind of continued way, like a tunnel).

I'm really hoping the GREAT Peter Donis gets a hold of this question, because I know I'm not asking it perfectly but that he can probably figure out what I'm asking.

Edit: Wait a minute. Have I answered my own question? Is the passage of time the tunnel I'm trying to visualize? Ha! I think I figured it out! The tunnel--or the continuum--is time, right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Every single point in spacetime has its own stress-energy or energy-momentum amount (usually expressed in the form of a tensor). With some proportionality constant that is equivalent with a certain amount of positive or negative curvature. There is no motion in spacetime. Motion you get when you take a certain 3D+1 slice of spacetime and all slices are equivalent in Einstein's theory.

PassionFlower:

Please explain your last sentence. What is a 3d+1 slice of spacetime?

Seminole Boy said:
PassionFlower:

Please explain your last sentence. What is a 3d+1 slice of spacetime?
3D+1 means take the three spatial dimensions (e.g. length, width and height) and plot the changes out against time.

Seminole Boy said:
When I think of a continuum, I think of something that is absolute
That is strange. I don't know where to go from there. I cannot even imaging why you might associate these two completely separate ideas in this way.

DaleSpam:

I wasn't using the right word. I corrected it--or changed it! Absolute was certainly not the right word.

Seminole Boy said:
When I think of a continuum, I think of something like a tunnel.
That is strange. I don't know where to go from there. I cannot even imaging why you might associate these two completely separate ideas in this way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuum_(measurement)

A continuum is just something which is continuous rather than discrete. I.e. smooth and not quantized. There is nothing absolute nor tunnel-like implied.

Related to Question: does the physical curvature of spacetime ever move ?

1. What is the physical curvature of spacetime?

The physical curvature of spacetime is a concept in physics that describes the distortion of the fabric of space and time caused by the presence of massive objects, such as planets and stars. This curvature is what gives rise to the force of gravity.

2. How is the curvature of spacetime measured?

The curvature of spacetime is measured using the mathematical framework of general relativity. This theory describes how the presence of matter and energy can curve the fabric of spacetime, and the degree of curvature can be calculated using mathematical equations and measurements of mass and energy.

3. Does the physical curvature of spacetime ever move?

The physical curvature of spacetime is not a physical object that can move in the traditional sense. However, it can change over time due to the movement and distribution of matter and energy in the universe. This change in curvature is what we observe as the expansion of the universe.

4. Can the curvature of spacetime be manipulated or controlled?

The curvature of spacetime is a fundamental property of the universe and cannot be directly manipulated or controlled by humans. However, the effects of spacetime curvature, such as gravity, can be harnessed and utilized for various purposes, such as space travel and satellite communication.

5. Is the curvature of spacetime constant throughout the universe?

No, the curvature of spacetime can vary in different regions of the universe depending on the distribution of matter and energy. In areas with high concentrations of mass, such as galaxies, the curvature will be stronger, while in areas with less matter, the curvature will be weaker. Additionally, the expansion of the universe can also affect the curvature of spacetime on a large scale.