Question dealing with equations of motion

In summary, the basketball player threw a ball with an initial velocity of 6.5m/s at an angle of 50 degrees to the horizontal. The ball travelled a horizontal distance of 2.9m to reach the top of the basket. The time taken for the ball to reach the basket is 0.69s. The height of the top of the basket is 3.0m.
bob 911
There was a recent exam question and i was wondering how to find out the answer.

Q. A basketball player throws a ball with an initial velocity of 6.5m/s at an angle of 50 degrees to the horizontal. The ball is 2.3m above the ground when released. The ball travels a horizontal distance of 2.9m to reach the top of the basket.(see attatchment).

a) Calculate
i) the horizontal component of the initial velocity of the ball
ii) the vertical component of the initial velocity of the ball
b) show that the time taken for the ball to reach the basket is 0.69s
c) Calculate the height H of the top of the basket.

TIA

Attachments

• physics q.doc
    29.5 KB · Views: 526
Physics news on Phys.org
bob 911 said:
There was a recent exam question and i was wondering how to find out the answer.

Q. A basketball player throws a ball with an initial velocity of 6.5m/s at an angle of 50 degrees to the horizontal. The ball is 2.3m above the ground when released. The ball travels a horizontal distance of 2.9m to reach the top of the basket.(see attatchment).

a) Calculate
i) the horizontal component of the initial velocity of the ball
ii) the vertical component of the initial velocity of the ball
b) show that the time taken for the ball to reach the basket is 0.69s
c) Calculate the height H of the top of the basket.

TIA

Welcome to PF.

OK so where would you think to begin?

For a) i) and ii) you don't have any problem do you?

Thanks for the reply.

A)i) I used f=f1cos(angle)
f= 6.5*cos50
= 4.18m/s

ii) I used f=f1sin(angle)
f= 6.5*sin50
=4.98m/s

B) I used Sh (horizontal distance travelled) = Uh (Horizontal component of the intial velocity) * time
2.9m = 4.18 * T
T = 0.69s

C) This is the part I am not sure about.

My method was to find the height of the basketball at its maximum point of the projectile. (remembering to add my answer to 2.3m since it left from that height)
I then found how much it fell by after the maximum point to the basketball net (taking that away from the maximum height i worked out)
My final answer was 3.0m.

However, i am not sure if this was the way to tackle this problem.

You could use "Sh (horizontal distance travelled) = Uh (Horizontal component of the intial velocity) * time" because there no horizontal component of force and so the horizontal velocity is constant.

There is a vertical force of -mg and so a constant vertical acceleration of -g. You should be able to find formulas for both vertical velocity and height at time t, either by integrating or using given formulas. You know that the time the ball reaches the .69 s. Just put that t into the height formula.

Related to Question dealing with equations of motion

1. What are the basic equations of motion?

The basic equations of motion are:
- Velocity (v) = Initial velocity (u) + Acceleration (a) x Time (t)
- Displacement (s) = Initial velocity (u) x Time (t) + 1/2 x Acceleration (a) x Time (t)^2
- Final velocity (v)^2 = Initial velocity (u)^2 + 2 x Acceleration (a) x Displacement (s)
- Displacement (s) = (Initial velocity (u) + Final velocity (v)) / 2 x Time (t)
- Displacement (s) = (Final velocity (v)^2 - Initial velocity (u)^2) / 2 x Acceleration (a)

2. How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity (final velocity - initial velocity) by the time it took for that change to occur. The formula for acceleration is:
Acceleration (a) = (Final velocity (v) - Initial velocity (u)) / Time (t)

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. In other words, velocity takes into account both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

4. How do you use equations of motion to solve problems?

To solve problems using equations of motion, you need to identify the known values (such as initial velocity, final velocity, time, or displacement) and the unknown value that you are trying to find. Then, you can use the appropriate equation to calculate the unknown value.

5. What are some common units used in equations of motion?

Common units used in equations of motion include meters (m) for displacement, meters per second (m/s) for velocity, meters per second squared (m/s^2) for acceleration, and seconds (s) for time. It is important to make sure that all units are consistent when using equations of motion to avoid errors in calculations.