Question concerning magnetic fields

In summary, the conversation discusses confusion about magnetic fields and their relationship to charge. The expert clarifies that magnetic fields themselves do not have a charge, but can cause a force on charged particles. The right-hand rule can be used to determine the direction of this force. The expert also emphasizes the difference between fields and sources, and cautions against confusing the two.
jlo4
So I am somewhat confused on magnetic fields. Do they have a charge? Because I have come across many problems that involve either protons or electrons and whether or not they are deflected by the field. My question is if the fields do have a positive or negative charge, how are you suppossed to know what the charge is? Do you use the right hand rule for this or what? Any help to clear my understanding would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The magnetic field is just a field. It has no charge. It causes a force on a positive or negatively charged particle given by the right-hand rule.

[tex]F = qB \times v[/tex]

where x is the cross product.

It's F = qv x B. but maybe, jlo4, you meant to ask if what produces a magnetic field has some sort of charge?

jlo4 said:
So I am somewhat confused on magnetic fields. Do they have a charge? Because I have come across many problems that involve either protons or electrons and whether or not they are deflected by the field. My question is if the fields do have a positive or negative charge, how are you suppossed to know what the charge is? Do you use the right hand rule for this or what? Any help to clear my understanding would be greatly appreciated!

Why pick on just magnetic fields? Do "electric fields" have a charge? Do gravitational fields have a mass?

One should not confuse fields with sources, and one should not confuse the origin of these sources and sources.

Zz.

Related to Question concerning magnetic fields

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a physical phenomenon that is created by moving electric charges. It is a force field that surrounds a magnet or a current-carrying wire and exerts a force on other magnets or moving electric charges.

2. How is a magnetic field created?

A magnetic field is created by moving electric charges. This can occur naturally in magnets, which have a north and south pole, or it can be created artificially by passing an electric current through a wire.

3. What is the difference between a magnetic field and an electric field?

A magnetic field is created by moving electric charges, while an electric field is created by stationary electric charges. Additionally, magnetic fields can only exert a force on other magnets or moving electric charges, while electric fields can exert a force on any charged object.

4. How is the strength of a magnetic field measured?

The strength of a magnetic field is measured in units called teslas (T) or gauss (G). These units represent the amount of force exerted on a unit of charge in a given area. The stronger the magnetic field, the more force it will exert.

5. What are some real-world applications of magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields have many practical applications, including in electric motors, generators, MRI machines, and compasses. They are also used in magnetic levitation technology, where magnets are used to lift and move objects without making physical contact.