Question: Calculate Wavelength from Intensity

In summary: If you can find the energy of a photon in this "unit" (energy per photon), you should be able to find the answer as well.In summary, the question is asking to calculate the wavelength in millimeters of the most intensive microwaves, with an intensity of 380 Units (5 waves per CM) as read from a graph. After some research, it was found that the formula for calculating wavelength from intensity is WL=HC/E, where E is the energy of a photon. The previous answer given was in "units" and by converting this unit to energy per photon, the wavelength can be calculated.
Hiyun

Homework Statement

Question: Calculate the wavelength in mm of the most intensive microwaves

Question before: State the intensity of the most intensive microwaves detected
Answer: 380 Units. (5 Waves per CM)
[Read from a graph]

Homework Equations

None given.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have never attempted a question to calculate wavelength from intensity. After some quick research on the internet, information about photons etc which I had never come across before showed up. If anyone would like to explain, i'd be very grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hiyun said:

Homework Statement

Question: Calculate the wavelength in mm of the most intensive microwaves

Question before: State the intensity of the most intensive microwaves detected
Answer: 380 Units. (5 Waves per CM)
[Read from a graph]

Homework Equations

None given.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have never attempted a question to calculate wavelength from intensity. After some quick research on the internet, information about photons etc which I had never come across before showed up. If anyone would like to explain, i'd be very grateful.

This sounds like a microwave equivalent of a common optics question.

There is a formula of calculating the energy associated with a photon of Red light, and a photon of blue light (one is bigger than the other).

Thus if you have a 6W red light and a 6W blue light (6 joules given off each second), then there will be different numbers of photons given off by each light.
If one phonon has 0.5 J of energy, you need 12 per second, while if the other photon has 0.6 J of energy, you need only 10 per second.

Perhaps that example/concept will help.

I did more research into this and I found out that Wavelength=HC/E

But I'm still stuck on getting the E (energy of a photon)

So far I've got

WL=1.99x10-25 J-m x E

Hiyun said:
I did more research into this and I found out that Wavelength=HC/E

But I'm still stuck on getting the E (energy of a photon)

So far I've got

WL=1.99x10-25 J-m x E

In your original post you said the nswer to the previous question was
Answer: 380 Units. (5 Waves per CM) which you got from a graph.

Using the scale of that graph what is a "unit"?

To calculate the wavelength from intensity, you can use the formula: wavelength = speed of light / frequency. In this case, the frequency can be calculated by dividing the number of waves per cm (5) by the length of one wave (in cm). This will give you the frequency in waves per cm.

Next, you can use the value for the speed of light (3 x 10^8 m/s) and convert it to mm/s (3 x 10^11 mm/s). Then, you can substitute the values into the formula to calculate the wavelength in mm.

Wavelength (mm) = (3 x 10^11 mm/s) / (5 waves/cm) = 6 x 10^10 mm

Therefore, the wavelength of the most intensive microwaves detected would be 6 x 10^10 mm.

Related to Question: Calculate Wavelength from Intensity

1. What is the formula for calculating wavelength from intensity?

The formula for calculating wavelength from intensity is:

Wavelength (λ) = (c * h) / I

Where c is the speed of light (3 x 10^8 m/s), h is Planck's constant (6.626 x 10^-34 J*s), and I is the intensity of the light source in watts/m^2.

2. Can wavelength be calculated if intensity is unknown?

No, wavelength cannot be accurately calculated if intensity is unknown. Intensity is a crucial component in the formula for calculating wavelength, so it must be known in order to find the wavelength.

3. How do I convert wavelength from meters to nanometers?

To convert wavelength from meters to nanometers, multiply the wavelength in meters by 10^9. For example, if the wavelength is 5 meters, the conversion would be 5 * 10^9 = 5,000,000,000 nanometers.

4. What is the relationship between wavelength and intensity?

Wavelength and intensity have an inverse relationship. This means that as the wavelength increases, the intensity decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula I = k/λ, where k is a constant.

5. How is wavelength measured in a laboratory setting?

In a laboratory setting, wavelength can be measured using a spectrometer or a diffraction grating. These tools allow for the measurement of the wavelength of light by analyzing the diffraction pattern created by passing light through a narrow slit or grating.