Question answer I don't understand

• Thread starter Genericcoder
  • Start date
The probability that a bad item was produced by line 1 is .38. That is, P(B|A)= .38. In the formula P(B|A)= P(A&B)/P(A), P(A&B)= P(A|B)P(B)= .05(.2)= .01. P(A)= P(A&B)+ P(A& B')= .01+ (1-.2)P(A|B')= .01+ .8(.02)= .01+ .016= .026. P(B|A)= .01/.026= .38.
Genericcoder
An electronic fuse is produced by five production lines in a manufacturing operation.
The fuses are costly, are quite reliable, and are shipped to suppliers in 100-unit lots.
Because testing is destructive, most buyers of the fuses test only a small number of
fuses before deciding to accept or reject lots of incoming fuses.
All five production lines produce fuses at the same rate and normally produce
only 2% defective fuses, which are dispersed randomly in the output. Unfortunately,
production line 1 suffered mechanical difficulty and produced 5% defectives during
the month of March. This situation became known to the manufacturer after the fuses
had been shipped.Acustomer received a lot produced in March and tested three fuses.
One failed. What is the probability that the lot was produced on line 1? What is the
probability that the lot came from one of the four other lines?

Let B denote the event that a fuse was drawn from line 1 and let A denote the event
that a fuse was defective. Then it follows directly that

P(B) = 0.2 and P(A|B) = 3(.05)(.95)^2 = .135375.

Similarly,
P(B-) = 0.8 and P(A|B-) = 3(.02)(.98)2 = .057624.

P(A) = P(A|B)P(B) + P(A|B-)P(B-)
= (.135375)(.2) + (.057624)(.8) = .0731742.

P(B|A) = P(B & A) / P(A) = P(A|B)*P(B) / P(A) = (.135375)(.2) / .0731742 = 0.37

Wat I don't understand here how did he get those values for
P(A|B) and P(B-)..? shouldn't P(B | A) = P(A & B) / P(B) = 0.05/0.2

P(B) = 1/5 = 0.2. same logic for P(A|B-) I don't understand this if someone could explain this more clearly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Genericcoder said:
shouldn't P(B | A) = P(A & B) / P(B) = 0.05/0.2

It should be P(A) in the denominator, not P(B) like you have written. You may be confused because the formula will typically be presented as giving P(A | B), so your A and B are flipped from what the standard formula in a textbook would read.

oh i see

Another way of looking at it: Imagine that every line produces 1000 items, for a total of 5000 items. Lines 2 through 4 have 2% bad: a total of .02(4000)= 80 bad items. Line one produces 5% bad, a total of 50 bad items. That is, out of a total of 80+ 50= 130 bad items, 50, or 50/130 or about 38% came from line 1.

I would first clarify the notation used in this response. The event B denotes the probability of a fuse being drawn from line 1, and the event A denotes the probability of a defective fuse. The notation B- denotes the event of a fuse not being drawn from line 1, and P(B-) is the probability of this event occurring. Similarly, P(A|B-) represents the probability of a fuse being defective given that it was not drawn from line 1.

To calculate the values for P(A|B) and P(A|B-), we can use the information provided in the question. We know that normally, all five production lines produce fuses with a 2% defect rate. This means that the probability of a fuse being defective is 0.02 or 2%. However, due to mechanical difficulties, production line 1 had a higher defect rate of 5% in the month of March. This means that the probability of a fuse being defective from line 1 specifically is 0.05 or 5%.

To calculate P(A|B), we need to consider that for a lot of 100 fuses, 3 fuses are tested. The probability of all 3 fuses being non-defective is (0.95)^3, since the probability of a non-defective fuse is 0.95. However, we need to account for the fact that there are 3 possible ways for 1 fuse to be defective out of the 3 tested. This is why we multiply by 3. So the overall probability of a fuse being defective given that it was drawn from line 1 is 3(0.05)(0.95)^2 = 0.135375.

Similarly, to calculate P(A|B-), we use the same logic but for the other 4 production lines. The probability of a fuse being defective from one of these lines is 0.02, and the overall probability of a fuse being defective given that it was not drawn from line 1 is 3(0.02)(0.98)^2 = 0.057624.

I hope this explanation helps clarify the calculations used in the response. As scientists, it is important to carefully consider and understand the data and information provided in a question before making any calculations or assumptions.

Related to Question answer I don't understand

What does "Question answer I don't understand" mean?

"Question answer I don't understand" refers to a statement or phrase that a person does not comprehend or has difficulty understanding. It can be used in a variety of contexts, such as when someone is confused about a question they have been asked or when they do not understand the answer to a question.

Why do people say "Question answer I don't understand"?

People may say "Question answer I don't understand" because they are having difficulty comprehending something or are seeking clarification. It is a way of expressing confusion and asking for further explanation.

How can I better understand "Question answer I don't understand"?

To better understand "Question answer I don't understand," you can ask for clarification or more information from the person who said it. You can also try to break down the statement or phrase into smaller parts and analyze each one individually.

Can "Question answer I don't understand" be used in a scientific context?

Yes, "Question answer I don't understand" can be used in a scientific context. Scientists often encounter complex and unfamiliar concepts, so it is common for them to ask for clarification or express confusion when they do not understand something.

Is there a better way to phrase "Question answer I don't understand"?

There are many different ways to express confusion or seek clarification, so "Question answer I don't understand" may not always be the most appropriate or effective phrase to use. Some alternative phrases could include "I'm having trouble understanding," "Could you please explain further," or "I don't quite follow." It is important to choose the right phrasing based on the context and audience.