Question about work on an electric charge

In summary, the electric potential energy of a negative charge increases as it moves from point A to point B within an electric field, even though the electric field is directed from point B to point A. This is because the potential energy is defined as the product of the charge and the change in potential, and since the charge is negative and the change in potential is positive, the change in electric potential energy is negative. Therefore, the correct answer is D, as the electric potential energy decreases in this scenario.
RoboNerd

Homework Statement

If the electric field does positive work on a negative charge as the charge undergoes a displacement from point A to point B within an electric field, then the electric potential energy is

a) negative
b) positive
c) increases
d) decreases
e) electric fields can not do work.

The "Right" answer is D, but I do not understand why that is right. I picked C to be the answer.

Homework Equations

Conceptual question. No equations needed.

The Attempt at a Solution

Say I have two points

A B

I move that negative charge from A to B. If there is positive work done on it during its displacement the electric force will be directed from point A to B. Since the force is done on a negative charge, the electric field is going from point B to point A. Point B is at a higher potential than A. Thus, if the negative charge moves closer to point B which is at a higher potential, then its electric potential energy increases. Right?

Thanks in advance for the help in helping me figure out what is the right answer. C or D.

Physics news on Phys.org
RoboNerd said:

Homework Statement

If the electric field does positive work on a negative charge as the charge undergoes a displacement from point A to point B within an electric field, then the electric potential energy is

a) negative
b) positive
c) increases
d) decreases
e) electric fields can not do work.

The "Right" answer is D, but I do not understand why that is right. I picked C to be the answer.

Homework Equations

Conceptual question. No equations needed.

The Attempt at a Solution

Say I have two points

A B

I move that negative charge from A to B. If there is positive work done on it during its displacement the electric force will be directed from point A to B. Since the force is done on a negative charge, the electric field is going from point B to point A. Point B is at a higher potential than A. Thus, if the negative charge moves closer to point B which is at a higher potential, then its electric potential energy increases. Right?

Thanks in advance for the help in helping me figure out what is the right answer. C or D.
the negative charge moves closer to point B which is at a higher potential, then its electric potential energy increases. Wrong.
How is electric potential defined? It is the potential energy of an unit positive charge. The potential energy is charge times potential.

U = q*deltaV

Yes, because the charge q is negative and the change in potential is positive, so the change in electric potential energy is negative.
I see how this works with the formula.
Thanks for the help. I get it now!

Related to Question about work on an electric charge

What is an electric charge?

An electric charge is a physical property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electromagnetic field. It can be positive or negative, and is measured in units of coulombs (C).

How is electric charge related to electricity?

Electricity is the flow of electric charge through a conductor, such as a wire. When an electric charge is in motion, it creates an electric current, which is the basis for all electrical systems and devices.

What are some examples of objects with electric charges?

Some common examples of objects with electric charges include batteries, lightning bolts, and everyday objects like balloons or combs that can become charged through friction.

Can electric charges be created or destroyed?

No, according to the law of conservation of charge, electric charges cannot be created or destroyed. They can only be transferred from one object to another.

How can electric charges be manipulated?

Electric charges can be manipulated through various methods, including induction, conduction, and electrostatic attraction or repulsion. This allows for the control and use of electricity in many practical applications.