Question about what happens to density of airflow through a heated tube

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where air is drawn through a copper tube and into a piston cylinder system, while a blowtorch is held up to a section of the tube. The question is how the air entering the cylinder would differ with and without the blowtorch, besides an increase in temperature. The solution involves using Rayleigh flow to determine the differences.
Green Zach
I know the basic equations for airflow, but for some reason this question has been puzzling me: say you have a copper tube open at one end and connected to a piston cylinder system at the other. Air is drawn through the copper tube and into the cylinder as the piston moves from top to bottom, and while this is going on you are holding a blowtorch up to a section of the copper tube and thus transferring some heat to the flowing air. Other than increased temperature, how would the air entering the cylinder differ from the exact same experiment minus the blow torch? For some reason this is really bugging me.

Science news on Phys.org
RIGHT! I'm an idiot... Just to clear it up you would probably be able to figure this out using Rayleigh flow.

Related to Question about what happens to density of airflow through a heated tube

1. What is the relationship between temperature and density of airflow through a heated tube?

The density of airflow through a heated tube is inversely proportional to the temperature. This means that as the temperature increases, the density of the air decreases.

2. How does the diameter of the tube affect the density of airflow?

The diameter of the tube has a direct effect on the density of airflow. As the diameter of the tube increases, the density of the air decreases and vice versa.

3. Does the type of gas used affect the density of airflow through a heated tube?

Yes, the type of gas used can have an impact on the density of airflow through a heated tube. Different gases have different molecular weights, which can affect their density at a given temperature and pressure.

4. What role does pressure play in the density of airflow through a heated tube?

Pressure has a direct effect on the density of airflow through a heated tube. As pressure increases, the density of the air also increases, and vice versa.

5. How does the length of the tube affect the density of airflow?

The length of the tube does not have a significant effect on the density of airflow through a heated tube. As long as the temperature and pressure remain constant, the density of the air will not be affected by the length of the tube.