Question about wave propagation

In summary: for the confusion. in summary, a wave with spatially constant amplitude and purely real wavenumber kr, excited in the same medium, would pass before its amplitude decreased by a factor of e within ikz. if you take the complex exponential form of the wave equation, you can find the time dependence of the wave.
knowlewj01

Homework Statement

A wave is driven at z=0 with constant real frequency ωr propagates in the z direction, for z>0 the amplitude varies as:

[itex]A = A_0 e^{i\omega_r - ikz}[/itex]

where k is complex
[itex]k=k_r - i k_i[/itex]

if a wave with spatially constant amplitude and purely real wavenumber kr were excited in the same medium, how long would pass before the wave's amplitude decreased by a factor of e?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(I'm not too sure what is meant by 'spatially constant')

does anyone know where to start on this one? I've tried a few things like removing the i from ikz, removing the z dependence altogether, I'm having trouble picturing what's going on.

Physics news on Phys.org
if a wave has spatially constant amplitude, means its amplitude is a constant and independent of space directional variables.

now any wave that decays, does so due to some restrain which is put on it from its medium by some means; so we must seek a decaying solution that satisfies the above wave propagation equation, where the amplitude decays as a result of the given equation of waves for the medium.

The simplest waveform i can think of that has constant amplitude is

[itex]x = x_0 cos(\omega t)[/itex]

but wouldn't a decay indicate behaviour more like

[itex]x = x_0 e^{-\frac{t}{\tau}}cos(\omega t)[/itex]

but then how does the wavenumber come into it?

that expression is very correct, but the incorrect approach to solve the problem, try writing the wave function in complex exponential notation and insert the wave number with the imaginary part in there.

Your simplest waveform has not only spatially constant amplitude but in fact has no spatial (x) dependence at all (it doesn't propagate!).

Think about the "excited wave" as an initial condition for a general wave propagating in the medium and then think about the disturbance evolves in time.

As ardie pointed out, complex exponentials are your friend.

[itex]x=x_0 e^{i\omega t - ikz} \hat{x}[/itex]

is the general form of a plane wave, this would propagate in the z direction with constant amplitude. correct?

so initially the wavevector is complex, k = kr - i ki

when the wavevector is only real, such that k = kr

[itex]x_i = x_0e^{i\omega t - (ik_r + k_i)z}[/itex]
[itex]x_f = x_0e^{i\omega t - ik_rz}[/itex]

im going to eliminate t if i carry on this way. is this any closer?

You know that the wave amplitude must have both space and time dependence, since they tell you the spatial dependence and they ask you about the time dependence. Thus you might conclude that your wave must have a form like x = A(z,t) exp(iωt - ikz).

Your first expression tells you the decay of the wave amplitude as it propagates in the +z direction, but notice that the expression has no time dependence. You also have an initial condition which tells you what the original amplitude and wavenumber are (what is t at the initial condition?). So how do you get the time dependence of a wave if you know the spatial dependence?

ive just noticed i made a typo in the question

[itex]A = A_0e^{i\omega_r - ikz}[/itex]

should read

[itex]A = A_0e^{i\omega_rt - ikz}[/itex]

so there should be a time dependance.

sorry

Related to Question about wave propagation

1. What is wave propagation?

Wave propagation refers to the movement of waves through a medium. A wave is a disturbance that travels through space, and the medium is the substance or material that the wave moves through. Examples of waves include sound waves, light waves, and water waves.

2. What factors affect wave propagation?

The speed and direction of wave propagation can be affected by various factors, including the properties of the medium (such as density and elasticity), the wavelength and frequency of the wave, and any obstacles or disturbances in the medium.

3. How do waves propagate through different mediums?

Waves can propagate through different mediums in different ways. For example, sound waves can travel through air, water, or solid objects, but their speed and direction may vary depending on the medium. Light waves, on the other hand, can only travel through transparent mediums such as air, water, and glass.

4. What is the difference between longitudinal and transverse wave propagation?

Longitudinal waves move in the same direction as the wave is traveling, whereas transverse waves move perpendicular to the direction of the wave. Sound waves are an example of longitudinal waves, while light waves are transverse waves.

5. How is wave propagation used in everyday life?

Wave propagation plays a crucial role in many aspects of everyday life. It allows us to communicate through sound waves and radio waves, see through light waves, and use technologies such as cell phones and Wi-Fi that rely on wave propagation to function. It is also essential in fields such as medicine, engineering, and seismology.