Question about using a wheatstone bridge to measure changes in resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a wheatstone bridge circuit for measuring small changes in resistance of a strain gauge. The person asking the question wonders why a milliammeter cannot be used instead, but it is explained that a wheatstone bridge is used because it can compensate for temperature changes in the specimen and the strain gauge. The conversation then shifts to whether a wheatstone bridge is necessary for an experiment involving measuring the resistance of a strain gauge at different temperatures.
gionex
Hi

I need to measure the small changes in resistance of a strain gauge.

I have read that a wheatstone bridge circuit is used to do this.. but I don't understand why I can't just use a milliammeter to measure the change in current through the strain gauge and then use R=V/I to find the new resistance/change in resistance. Sorry if it's a stupid question, but could someone please explain why a wheatstone bridge is used?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
From Wikipedia:
Even with strain gauges that are not self-temperature compensated (such as isoelastic alloy), using a Wheatstone bridge arrangement it is possible to compensate for temperature changes in the specimen under test and the strain gauge. To do this in a Wheatstone bridge made of four gauges, two gauges are attached to the specimen, and two are left unattached, unstrained, and at the same temperature as the specimen and the attached gauges

so you are saying the only reason to use a wheatstone bridge is to remove the effect of temperature?
In my experiment, I need to measure how the resistance of a strain gauge varies with changes to the temperature of the specimen material, so does this mean I do not need to use a wheatstone bridge?

anyone? :z

i need help on this one aswell...have u started yet

Related to Question about using a wheatstone bridge to measure changes in resistance

What is a Wheatstone bridge?

A Wheatstone bridge is a circuit used to measure changes in electrical resistance. It consists of four resistors arranged in a diamond shape with a voltage source connected to opposite corners and a galvanometer (a device used to measure small electrical currents) connected to the other two corners.

How does a Wheatstone bridge measure changes in resistance?

A Wheatstone bridge works on the principle of null measurement, where the voltage difference between two points is zero. When the resistance of one of the resistors changes, the voltage at that point also changes, causing a voltage difference in the bridge. The bridge is then adjusted until the voltage difference is zero again, and the change in resistance can be calculated using Ohm's law.

What are the advantages of using a Wheatstone bridge?

A Wheatstone bridge is a very precise and accurate method of measuring resistance changes. It is also very sensitive to small changes in resistance and can be used to measure very low resistances. Additionally, it is a simple and inexpensive circuit to set up.

What are the limitations of using a Wheatstone bridge?

A Wheatstone bridge can only measure changes in resistance, not absolute values. It also requires a stable power supply and can be affected by external factors such as temperature changes. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurement depends on the precision of the resistors used in the circuit.

What are some common applications of a Wheatstone bridge?

A Wheatstone bridge is commonly used in strain gauge measurements, where changes in resistance are caused by mechanical strain. It is also used in temperature sensors, potentiometers, and bridge circuits for measuring capacitance and inductance. Additionally, it is used in laboratory experiments to measure the unknown resistance of a material.