Question About Unit Circle (CircularFunction) of a Trig Func

In summary, the angle ##\sin (\frac{7π}{4})## corresponds to the coordinates ##(\frac{\sqrt {2}}{2}, -\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2})## because it can be reduced to an angle of -π/4 by subtracting 2π, and when visualized on a unit circle, the x-coordinate represents the "near side" and the y-coordinate represents the "opposite side" of a right triangle with that angle and hypotenuse 1. To easily remember this concept, one can memorize the unit circle and use the mnemonic device "All Students Take Calculus".
basty
Please take a look below example (the attached image below).

How do I know that the angle ##\sin (\frac{7π}{4})## is corresponds to the coordinates ##(\frac{\sqrt {2}}{2}, -\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2})##?

I know that ##\frac{7π}{4}## is 315°.

circ_func.png

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Did you draw a unit circle and mark e.g. the ##7\pi \over 4## angle ?

BvU said:
Did you draw a unit circle and mark e.g. the ##7\pi \over 4## angle ?

Should I?

Yes

subtract ## 2\pi## that is ##\frac{7}{4}\pi -2\pi=\frac{7-8}{4}\pi=-\frac{\pi}{4}##...

If you draw a line from (0, 0) with length 1 and making angle [itex]\theta[/itex] with the x-angle and drop a perpendicular to the x-axis, then the distance to the foot of that perpendicular, along the x-axis is the "near side" of a right triangle with angle [itex]\theta[/itex] and hypotenuse 1. Similarly, the length of the perpendicular, parallel to the y-axis, is the "opposite side".

Well, I think any high school teacher I knew when I was teaching would have a simple answer:

Memorize the unit circle (which isn't so hard to do if notice the angular symmetries and remember the mnemonic device All Students Take Calculus in order to remember the signs).

Related to Question About Unit Circle (CircularFunction) of a Trig Func

1. What is the Unit Circle?

The Unit Circle is a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the origin of a coordinate plane. It is used in trigonometry to represent the values of the sine, cosine, and tangent functions for different angles.

2. What is the purpose of the Unit Circle in trigonometry?

The Unit Circle is used as a visual aid to understand and solve trigonometric equations and problems. It allows for a more intuitive understanding of the relationship between angles and the sine, cosine, and tangent functions.

3. How is the Unit Circle related to circular functions?

The Unit Circle is used to define the values of the circular functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, for different angles. The coordinates of the points on the Unit Circle correspond to the values of these functions.

4. How do you find the values of circular functions on the Unit Circle?

The values of the sine, cosine, and tangent functions for a given angle can be found by identifying the point on the Unit Circle corresponding to that angle and reading the coordinates of that point.

5. How is the Unit Circle helpful in solving trigonometric equations?

The Unit Circle provides a visual representation of the relationships between angles and circular functions, making it easier to solve trigonometric equations. It also allows for the use of trigonometric identities and properties to manipulate equations and find solutions.