Question about this simple harmonic motion problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the velocity of a particle in simple harmonic motion at a given time. Equations for finding the angular frequency and phase change are provided. There is confusion about the value of k and the use of Hooke's law, as well as determining the value of δ. The expert recommends using the given information about the particle's displacement at t = 0 to solve for δ and not assuming the force acting on the particle is just its weight. The expert also provides instructions on how to quote multiple people in one reply.
jklops686

Homework Statement

A particle with a mass of 65 g is moving with simple harmonic motion. At time t = 0, the particle is at its extreme positive displacement of 18.0 cm. The period of the motion is 0.600 s. Find the vecocity of the particle at t = 1.35 s

Homework Equations

(1). ω=2∏/T or
(2). ω=√k/m

(3). x=Acos(ω∏+δ)
(4). v=-Aωsin(ω∏+δ)

The Attempt at a Solution

First question: to find ω, why don't I get the same answer for both equations 1 and 2?

With equation 1 I get 10.47 (which I think is correct) and with eqn. 2 I get 7.45.

Second question: How do I find the phase change for this problem? I tried to set the displacement equation equal to zero at t=0 and I am getting ∏/2 but it seems that the only way to get the correct answer for the problem is to have zero phase change.

Physics news on Phys.org
jklops686 said:
First question: to find ω, why don't I get the same answer for both equations 1 and 2?

With equation 1 I get 10.47 (which I think is correct) and with eqn. 2 I get 7.45.

It will help if show your calculations. In particular, how did you determine the value of k to use in eqn. 2?

Second question: How do I find the phase change for this problem? I tried to set the displacement equation equal to zero at t=0 and I am getting ∏/2 but it seems that the only way to get the correct answer for the problem is to have zero phase change.

The problem states that the particle is at its extreme positive displacement at t = 0.

How do you know what k is?

SteamKing said:
How do you know what k is?

I was thinking I could use hooke's law to find k. Tsny...

I guess I'm just confused at finding phase changes.

What does the equation x = Acos(ωt+δ) become for t = 0? Knowing that x is at it's maximum positive value at t = 0, what can you conclude about the value of δ?

But how did you get a value of k to calculate omega of 7.45?

SteamKing said:
But how did you get a value of k to calculate omega of 7.45?

Using F=kx

0.65N=k(.18)

k=3.61

ω=√3.61/.065=7.45

TSny... I think I see what you're saying. x would equal 18 at t=0.

so 18cm = Acos(δ) ?

Also, how do you quote two people in one reply?

jklops686 said:
Using F=kx

0.65N=k(.18)

k=3.61

ω=√3.61/.065=7.45

But you can't assume that the force acting on the particle is the weight of the particle. The simple harmonic motion might be due to a spring, and the force would be whatever the force of the spring happens to be for a given value of x.

x would equal 18 at t=0.

so 18cm = Acos(δ) ?

What does "A" stand for in this equation? What is the value of A?

Also, how do you quote two people in one reply?

Pause your cursor over the "M" button next to the "Quote" button in the lower right corner and instructions will appear.

Related to Question about this simple harmonic motion problem

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which a particle moves back and forth in a linear path around a fixed point, with the motion being driven by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement of the particle from the fixed point.

2. How is simple harmonic motion different from other types of motion?

Simple harmonic motion is different from other types of motion in that it follows a specific pattern of oscillation, where the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of the particle are all sinusoidal functions of time.

3. What is the equation for simple harmonic motion?

The equation for simple harmonic motion is x = A sin(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement of the particle, A is the amplitude of the motion, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase constant.

4. What factors affect the period of simple harmonic motion?

The period of simple harmonic motion is affected by the mass of the particle, the strength of the restoring force, and the length of the path the particle is moving along. It is also inversely proportional to the square root of the spring constant.

5. How is simple harmonic motion used in real-life applications?

Simple harmonic motion is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as in pendulum clocks, musical instruments, and even car suspensions. It is also used in the study of waves and vibrations, as well as in modeling physical phenomena such as the motion of atoms and molecules.