Question about theorem 2.2.1 in Wald's General Relativity

In summary, Wald's theorem states that the dimension of the tangent space at a point p in an n-dimensional manifold is equal to the number of linearly independent vectors that span the manifold.
CJ2116
Hi everyone, first of all I have been a lurker here for years and have benefited greatly from many of the discussions in the math and physics sections. Thanks, I have received a lot of helpful information from these forums!

I have been working through Wald's General Relativity book and I am having trouble following the reasoning behind one part of a theorem. From page 15, the theorem and part of the proof is (For those who don't have the book):

Let M be an n-dimensional manifold. Let [itex]p \in M[/itex] and let [itex]V_p[/itex] denote the tangent space at p. Then dim [itex]V_p=n[/itex]

Proof We shall show that dim [itex]V_p=n[/itex] by constructing a basis of [itex]V_p[/itex], i.e. by finding n linearly independent tangent vectors that span [itex]V_p[/itex]. Let [itex]\psi : O \rightarrow U\subset R^n[/itex] be a chart with [itex]p\in O[/itex]. If [itex]f\in \mathfrak{F}[/itex], then by definition [itex]f\circ \psi^{-1}:U\rightarrow R[/itex] is [itex]C^{\infty}[/itex]. For [itex]\mu=1,...,n[/itex] define [itex]X_{\mu}:\mathfrak{F}\rightarrow R[/itex] by
$$X_{\mu}(f)=\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\mu}}(f\circ \psi^{-1})\bigg|_{\psi (p)}$$
$$\vdots$$

I can't seem to figure out how the term [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\mu}}(f\circ \psi^{-1})\bigg|_{\psi (p)}[/itex] is a mapping from [itex]\mathfrak{F}\rightarrow R[/itex]. [itex]f\circ \psi^{-1}[/itex] was defined to be a mapping from [itex]U\rightarrow R[/itex]. In other words, I don't see why these last two terms should be equal. I think I am missing something obvious here. Is there maybe some sort of chain rule argument?

Thanks, any pointer in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have [itex]f o \ \psi^{-1}(\psi(p)) = f(p) [/itex].

Last edited:
Wow, that was more embarrassingly obvious than I thought!:blushing:

Thanks for the reply!

Don't worry. It is easy to drown in all those formalities ;)

Dear fellow scientist,

First of all, I'm glad to hear that you have found helpful information from this forum. We are always happy to assist and share knowledge with others.

Regarding your question about theorem 2.2.1 in Wald's General Relativity, I believe the confusion lies in the notation used. Let's break down the notation and see if that helps clarify things.

First, in the statement of the theorem, we are dealing with a manifold M and a point p \in M. The tangent space at p, denoted V_p, is the set of all tangent vectors at p. So, V_p is a vector space.

Next, we have the function \psi : O \rightarrow U \subset R^n, which is a chart that maps an open set O in the manifold M to an open set U in the Euclidean space R^n. This means that \psi is a coordinate system on M, and \psi(p) is the coordinate of the point p in this system.

Now, we come to the definition of X_{\mu}:\mathfrak{F}\rightarrow R. This notation means that X_{\mu} is a linear map from the space of smooth functions on the manifold, denoted by \mathfrak{F}, to the real numbers, denoted by R. In other words, X_{\mu} takes a smooth function f and maps it to a real number.

To understand the expression \frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\mu}}(f\circ \psi^{-1})\bigg|_{\psi (p)}, we need to look at the chain rule. The function f\circ \psi^{-1} is a composition of two functions - f and \psi^{-1}. The chain rule tells us that the derivative of this composition is given by the product of the derivatives of the individual functions. So, in this case, we have:

\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\mu}}(f\circ \psi^{-1}) = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x^{\mu}}\circ \psi^{-1} \cdot \frac{\partial \psi^{-1}}{\partial x^{\mu}}

Now, evaluating this expression at the point \psi(p) gives us:

\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\mu}}(f\circ \psi^{-1})\bigg|_{\psi (p)}

Related to Question about theorem 2.2.1 in Wald's General Relativity

1. What is the significance of theorem 2.2.1 in Wald's General Relativity?

Theorem 2.2.1 in Wald's General Relativity is important because it states that in any spacetime, there exists a unique solution to Einstein's field equations that satisfies certain boundary conditions. This solution is known as the "Einstein solution" and is the basis for understanding the behavior of gravity in our universe.

2. Who discovered theorem 2.2.1 in Wald's General Relativity?

Theorem 2.2.1 in Wald's General Relativity was discovered by Robert M. Wald, an American physicist and mathematician, in his book "General Relativity" published in 1984.

3. Can you explain the proof of theorem 2.2.1 in Wald's General Relativity?

The proof of theorem 2.2.1 in Wald's General Relativity involves using the theory of partial differential equations and the concept of a "Cauchy problem" to show that there exists a unique solution to Einstein's field equations under certain boundary conditions.

4. How does theorem 2.2.1 in Wald's General Relativity relate to the theory of relativity?

Theorem 2.2.1 in Wald's General Relativity is a fundamental result in the theory of general relativity, as it provides a rigorous mathematical foundation for understanding the behavior of gravity in our universe. It also helps to make predictions and explain observations in the context of Einstein's theory of relativity.

5. Are there any practical applications of theorem 2.2.1 in Wald's General Relativity?

While theorem 2.2.1 in Wald's General Relativity may not have direct practical applications, it serves as a crucial building block for further developments in the field of general relativity. It has also been used in the study of black holes, gravitational waves, and other phenomena predicted by Einstein's theory.