Question about the validity of Coefficient of Restitution

In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of CoR as a metric for the bounciness of an object. It is noted that CoR is a property of two objects and cannot be used to directly compare the bounciness of single objects. The conversation also touches on the idea that there should be a notion of bounciness, even if it cannot be traced back to CoR without complex formulae. It is suggested to think of each object as an imperfect spring with two spring constants, and to derive the CoR for the combination in terms of these constants.
Tyrone Sawyer
Specifically as to the validity of CoR as a metric for the bounciness of an object. CoR is inherently a property of /two/ objects, say, the interaction between rubber and steel. Is it truly the case that given two objects, it's impossible to say that one object is bouncier than another? This is a topic for which I really can't find many people talking, likely because it's boring, useless, but also sort of easy.

My intuition tells me that if you have two objects, and two surfaces, than if object A bounces better than object B on surface C, than it should bounce better on surface D as well. Further, it should bounce better on /all/ surfaces.

My understanding is that CoR is really a very rough approximation of a whole bunch of chaotic interplay between systems, but my intuition strongly tells me that there should be a notion of bounciness; even if it can't necessarily be used to trace back to CoR without complex formulae, whatever those formulae are, they should be monotone increasing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tyrone Sawyer said:
Specifically as to the validity of CoR as a metric for the bounciness of an object. CoR is inherently a property of /two/ objects, say, the interaction between rubber and steel. Is it truly the case that given two objects, it's impossible to say that one object is bouncier than another? This is a topic for which I really can't find many people talking, likely because it's boring, useless, but also sort of easy.

My intuition tells me that if you have two objects, and two surfaces, than if object A bounces better than object B on surface C, than it should bounce better on surface D as well. Further, it should bounce better on /all/ surfaces.

My understanding is that CoR is really a very rough approximation of a whole bunch of chaotic interplay between systems, but my intuition strongly tells me that there should be a notion of bounciness; even if it can't necessarily be used to trace back to CoR without complex formulae, whatever those formulae are, they should be monotone increasing.
Think of each object as an imperfect spring. That is, each has two spring constants: a larger one during deformation (compression in this case) and a smaller one during relaxation (decompression).
See if you can derive the CoR for the combination in terms of those four constants.

Related to Question about the validity of Coefficient of Restitution

1. What is the Coefficient of Restitution?

The Coefficient of Restitution (COR) is a measure of the elasticity or bounciness of a collision between two objects. It is typically represented by the symbol "e" and is equal to the ratio of the final velocity of separation to the initial velocity of approach.

2. How is the Coefficient of Restitution calculated?

The Coefficient of Restitution is calculated by dividing the final velocity of separation by the initial velocity of approach. This is typically done using the equation e = vf/vi, where vf is the final velocity and vi is the initial velocity.

3. What is a "perfectly elastic" collision?

A perfectly elastic collision is one in which there is no loss of kinetic energy during the collision. This means that the objects involved bounce off each other without losing any energy and their combined velocity remains the same after the collision as it was before.

4. What is a "perfectly inelastic" collision?

A perfectly inelastic collision is one in which the objects involved stick together after the collision. This means that there is a complete loss of kinetic energy and the objects move together at a combined velocity after the collision.

5. Why is the Coefficient of Restitution important?

The Coefficient of Restitution is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects during collisions. It is especially useful in sports, such as baseball or tennis, where the COR of a ball can affect its trajectory and bounce. It also has practical applications in engineering and design, where the COR of materials can impact the safety and efficiency of structures and products.