Question about the theory of relativity.

In summary: GR is a classical theory, and QM is a quantum theory. GR is a geometric theory and QM is a mathematical theory. In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of quantum physics and Einstein's theory of relativity. The speaker expresses interest in understanding Einstein's accomplishments and asks for a simplified explanation of the theory. Another speaker recommends reading Einstein's book "Relativity" and clarifies that the speed of light is a constant regardless of the amount of light present. They also suggest taking an introductory physics class before delving into complex theories. The conversation also briefly touches on the relationship between quantum physics and relativity.
matthayzon89
Hello,
I am fairly new to quantum physics and I recently became interested in Einstein and his accomplishments b/c I never knew why he was considered a genious and I was curious...

So, I took a few minutes to try to understand the way the theory of relativity works, which by the way, I am having a difficult time understanding... (can anyone break it down for me in an easy to understand way?)

What I DID get from Einsteins theory of relativity is that Energy= Mass * C^2 <-speed of light squared.

This implies that: if say a rock weighs .5 lbs and you multiply it by the speed of light squared, then you get the amount of potential energy that the rock might have. You locating the rock in the first place is do to having light hit the rock.

So, what if someone someone was in complete darkness with a plate somewhere in the room, the plate cannot be located b/c it is too dark. Since the speed of light does not apply to this case b/c we are in complete darkness, doesn't this theory incorrectly imply that the plate has little to NO potential energy, since the light in the room is near zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
Find Einstein's little paperback, "Relativity", by Crown publishers, and spend some quality time with it.

To my understanding the answer to your question is:

There may be a low abundance of photons (light carrying particles) or even a complete absence of photons but it still doesn't change the speed of light. The potential energy of an object doesn't have any correlation to whether or not there is enough light for our eyes to observe it or for it to be observed at all, just using that formula and the fixed non-changing speed of light. The amount or intensity of the light has no effect on the formula.

The formula specifies the potential energy of a given quantity of mass times the "value" of the velocity of light (squared). You don't need a photon present in order to use the "value" of the square of the velocity of a photon.

When you solve an equation, you substitute actual numerical values for the constants and variables in the equation. In the case of E=mc^2 , you substitute for the letter "c", its actual numerical value.

Last edited:
I am fairly new to quantum physics and I recently became interested in Einstein and his accomplishments
Just FYI, quantum physics has nothing to do with Einsteins work. Einstein's work is known as General Relativity. Both quantum physics and General relativity make up what we call Modern Physics.

So, I took a few minutes to try to understand the way the theory of relativity works
Its great that you have an interest in physics but to try taking a few minutes to understand Einstein's theories is just impossible. Try taking a few years, at least. I am not attempting to insult your intelligence but to learn modern physics you must learn it gradually from the beggining. You should take an intro to physics class and start small, learn some basics before you jump into General Relativity and Quantum mechanics. But keep up the interest.

MillerGenuine said:
Just FYI, quantum physics has nothing to do with Einsteins work. Einstein's work is known as General Relativity. Both quantum physics and General relativity make up what we call Modern Physics.
So you think that quantum theory has nothing to do with the special theory of relativity? Or do you think that the special theory of relativity is not Einstein's work? I am confused by your answers. How can one possibly do quantum theoretical calculations without using special relativity?

Maybe I tend to use some of my words losely, and for that I appologize. Clearly GR is Einstein's work, the point I was trying to make is that GR is GR and QM is QM. They are two different areas of physics.

Related to Question about the theory of relativity.

What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century, is a fundamental concept in physics that explains how objects behave in different frames of reference and how gravity affects the fabric of space and time.

What are the two types of relativity?

The two types of relativity are special relativity and general relativity. Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in inertial frames of reference, while general relativity extends these laws to non-inertial frames and incorporates the effects of gravity.

What are the key principles of relativity?

The key principles of relativity are the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference, and the principle of the constancy of the speed of light, which states that the speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion.

How has the theory of relativity been proven?

The theory of relativity has been proven through numerous experiments and observations, such as the famous Michelson-Morley experiment, which showed that the speed of light is constant, and the observation of the bending of starlight by massive objects, which confirmed the prediction of general relativity.

What are some practical applications of relativity?

Relativity has many practical applications, including GPS systems, which rely on the precise measurements of time and space predicted by the theory. It also explains the phenomenon of time dilation, which has been observed and utilized in experiments involving high-speed particles. Additionally, general relativity has practical applications in fields such as astronomy and astrophysics, providing insights into the behavior of massive objects like black holes.