Question about the output of a car battery in amps

In summary, the individual joined the conversation to ask a question about using an electric 12v anchor winch to hoist bicycles in their garage. They tried using an AC to DC power inverter with a low amperage, but it caused the winch to run slowly and with a jerking motion. They then purchased a 15 amp power inverter, which worked perfectly. It was suggested that they could have avoided this issue by purchasing a 120v winch instead.
wizer
Hi. I joined to ask this one question..but who knows maybe I will stick around and learn other things..lol...

I bought an electric 12v anchor winch which is designed to be used with a 12v car battery on a boat. I intend to use it to hoist my bicycles to the ceiling of my garage. However, the AC to DC power inverter that I tried, which outputs 3 amps...makes the winch run very slowly and with a jerking motion. I assume this is because the amperage is way low. So I need a power inverter with a higher amperage rating...

My question..how high?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Wizer.
The requirements should be listed on the label, or at least in the owner's manual. I believe that most medium winches run about 15 amps, but I'm not sure.

Danger said:
Welcome to PF, Wizer.
The requirements should be listed on the label, or at least in the owner's manual. I believe that most medium winches run about 15 amps, but I'm not sure.

Thanks Danger..

No label anywhere on the winch or on the manual...I know, there should be, right?

I ran over to RadioShack, and picked up a 15 amp AC to 12v DC power inverter and it appears to work perfectly.

So you are correct, and that confirms that I am in the right power range for that winch.

Thanks.

You're quit welcome.

Next time buy a 120v winch...cheaper, simpler and just plug it into any wall outlet...

Related to Question about the output of a car battery in amps

What is the output of a car battery in amps?

The output of a car battery in amps can vary depending on the make and model of the car, but on average, it ranges from 40 to 100 amps.

How is the output of a car battery measured?

The output of a car battery is measured using an ammeter, which is connected in series with the battery to measure the flow of current in amps.

What factors can affect the output of a car battery?

The output of a car battery can be affected by several factors, including age, temperature, and the demand placed on it by the electrical systems of the car.

What is the purpose of the output of a car battery in amps?

The output of a car battery in amps is important because it determines the amount of current that can be supplied to the car's electrical systems, such as the starter motor and lights.

How can I increase the output of my car battery in amps?

There are a few ways to potentially increase the output of a car battery, such as using a battery with a higher amp rating or installing a battery booster or charger to increase the charging capacity.