Question about the magnetic dipole moment of the electron

In summary, when an electron moves with constant velocity through a perpendicular magnetic field, it will follow a circular path. The direction of its magnetic dipole moment, or spin, will oscillate with some phase and eventually end up in the ground state through photoemission.
georgenewman
Let's say that an electron is moving with constant velocity through a magnetic field. If the magnitude of the field is the same everywhere in space and if it is perpendicular to the velocity of the particle everywhere, the electron will follow a circular path. We all know that. What I need to know is, in what way does the direction of the magnetic dipole moment of the electron change as it moves along this circular path?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose you are talking about the intrinsic magnetic momentum of the electron. I'll talk about spin instead of magnetic moment since they are proportional anyway.

In QM, the spin of the electron will oscillate with some phase, like the following:
[tex]a e^{i\mu_B B/\hbar }\left| \uparrow\right>+ b e^{-i\mu_B B/\hbar}\left| \downarrow\right>[/tex]

I think (not too sure) the electron will go through photoemission and end up in the ground state.

As the electron moves along the circular path, the direction of its magnetic dipole moment will remain constant. This is because the magnetic dipole moment of an electron is defined as the product of its charge and the distance between its center of mass and its axis of rotation. Since the electron is moving with constant velocity, the distance between its center of mass and its axis of rotation remains the same, and therefore the magnetic dipole moment remains constant. However, the orientation of the magnetic dipole moment with respect to the magnetic field may change as the electron moves along the circular path. This is because the magnetic field is always perpendicular to the velocity of the electron, and the direction of the magnetic dipole moment is defined as being along the axis of rotation. Therefore, as the electron moves along the circular path, the direction of its magnetic dipole moment may change relative to the direction of the magnetic field, but the magnitude will remain constant.

Related to Question about the magnetic dipole moment of the electron

What is the magnetic dipole moment of the electron?

The magnetic dipole moment of the electron is a measure of the strength and direction of the magnetic field produced by an electron when it is in motion. It is a fundamental property of the electron and is essential for understanding the behavior of magnetic materials.

How is the magnetic dipole moment of the electron calculated?

The magnetic dipole moment of the electron is calculated by multiplying the charge of the electron by its angular momentum, or the measure of its rotational motion. This can be represented by the equation μ = e/2m, where μ is the magnetic dipole moment, e is the charge of the electron, and m is its mass.

Why is the magnetic dipole moment of the electron important?

The magnetic dipole moment of the electron is important because it helps explain the behavior of electrons in magnetic fields. It is also used in various scientific fields, such as quantum mechanics and electromagnetism, to understand the properties of materials and particles.

What factors affect the magnetic dipole moment of the electron?

The magnetic dipole moment of the electron is affected by its charge, mass, and angular momentum. Additionally, external factors such as the strength and orientation of a magnetic field can also influence its value.

How is the magnetic dipole moment of the electron measured?

The magnetic dipole moment of the electron can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as nuclear magnetic resonance and electron spin resonance. These methods involve applying a magnetic field and observing the resulting behavior of the electron's magnetic moment.