Question about the Hamiltonian Operator

In summary, the professor is showing how kinetic energy is calculated using the momentum and Planck's constant, and how it is related to the eigenfunction and eigenvalue equation. If you are not a physics major, the math may be too difficult for you to understand. However, you can look at the derivation of the equation in Ballentine - Quantum Mechanics - A Modern Development - Chapter 3. If you are interested in tackling the math, you can see the proof of a key theorem it uses in the link Bill provided.
plazprestige
In my physical chemistry course, we are learning about the Schrödinger Equation and were introduced to the Hamiltonian Operator recently. We started out with the simple scenario of a particle in 1D space. Our professor's slide showed the following "derivation" to arrive at the expression for the kinetic energy component of the Hamiltonian (see attachment).

Screen Shot 2015-01-16 at 10.09.35 PM.png

I do not understand how the professor arrived at the eigenfunction-eigenvalue equation for the kinetic energy involving Planck's constant. I understand that kinetic energy is equal to momentum squared divided by twice the mass, of course, but nothing beyond that in the slide. If someone could explain this, I would appreciate it. Please note that I am not a physics major, so any mathematics more advanced than calculus may be beyond me (I do understand operators and eigenfunctions, however).

Physics news on Phys.org
Its basically hand-wavey rubbish given so you basically don't tell students its pulled out of a hat.

The reason for Schrodingers equation believe it or not is the principle of relativity of classical mechanics ie time is invariant. But proving so involves advanced math. You will find the derivation in Ballentine - Quantum Mechanics - A Modern Development - Chapter 3. At your level you probably won't understand it, but I do suggest you get a copy from your university library and have a look at it to get a bit of its gist.

As to how Schroedinger did it, which what your professor wrote is reminiscent of, check out:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1204.0653

But again its math is likely a bit beyond your level.

At your level I would have a look at the first two chapters of Griffiths - Introduction To Quantum mechanics.

Added Later:
I found the following that may help:

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
The slide is very convoluted. I believe what he is doing is the following:
$$\frac{d^2 \psi}{dx^2}=-\left(\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}\right)^2 \psi$$
Multiple both sides by [itex]\frac{h^2}{8\pi^2 m}[/itex]
$$\frac{h^2}{8\pi^2 m}\frac{d^2 \psi}{dx^2}=-\frac{h^2}{8\pi^2 m}\left(\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}\right)^2 \psi$$
Remember that [itex]p=\frac{h}{\lambda}[/itex] so that the equation now can be written
$$-\frac{h^2}{8\pi^2 m}\frac{d^2 \psi}{dx^2}=\frac{4 \pi^2 }{8\pi^2 m}\left(\frac{h}{\lambda}\right)^2 \psi \\ -\frac{h^2}{8\pi^2 m}\frac{d^2 \psi}{dx^2}=\frac{1}{2 m}p^2 \psi $$
Now you see the right side is the definition of kinetic energy.

I concur with Bill's first sentence.

[EDIT: fixed what Bill pointed out in the next post]

Last edited:
Likes bhobba
Well spotted - but there is a minor algebraical error in the third equation - an extra h^2.

I generally don't worry about such things because its a good exercise spotting them - I make errors like that all the time - and I have to say its gotten worse as I get older.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes Haborix
Ah, thanks! I made that error twice, but I only caught one before posting.

All errors are unspecified exercises for the reader.

Likes vanhees71 and bhobba
Thank you both for your in-depth explanations. I figured that the professor was hand-waving, but it is nice to have at least some rudimentary idea of where the Hamiltonian (or the kinetic energy component) comes from. To Bill, I am familiar with the basics of Einstein's relativity, so I would be interested in hearing more about how Schrödinger's equation can be derived from that concept. If the math is way beyond calculus, then I suppose I won't worry about it.

plazprestige said:
To Bill, I am familiar with the basics of Einstein's relativity, so I would be interested in hearing more about how Schrödinger's equation can be derived from that concept. If the math is way beyond calculus, then I suppose I won't worry about it.

The math isn't beyond calculus - but is pretty heavy going. I have an degree in math and for me it was slow going.

To see if you want to tackle it see the proof of a key theorem it uses, but the proof is left out:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/0808.0779v2.pdf

If you can understand that then Ballentine should be doable - in which case see chapter 3 - Ballentine.

In math when someone says the math is a bit advanced and best left until later often it refers to this mathematical maturity thing - it quite possibly means while you may know the necessary math to understand it, ploughing through it is hard going and is best left until you have more experience with proofs of that complexity.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:

Related to Question about the Hamiltonian Operator

What is the Hamiltonian operator?

The Hamiltonian operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to represent the total energy of a system. It is denoted by the symbol "H" and is defined as the sum of the kinetic and potential energy operators of the system.

What is the significance of the Hamiltonian operator in quantum mechanics?

The Hamiltonian operator plays a crucial role in quantum mechanics as it represents the total energy of a system, which is a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It is also used to derive the equations that govern the evolution of a quantum system over time.

How is the Hamiltonian operator related to the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum systems over time. The Hamiltonian operator is a key component of this equation, as it represents the total energy of the system. The Schrodinger equation is essentially an expression of the Hamiltonian operator acting on the wave function of a quantum system.

What are the similarities and differences between the Hamiltonian operator and the Lagrangian operator?

Both the Hamiltonian operator and the Lagrangian operator are used in classical mechanics to describe the behavior of a system. However, the Hamiltonian operator is used in quantum mechanics, while the Lagrangian operator is used in classical mechanics. Additionally, while the Hamiltonian operator represents the total energy of the system, the Lagrangian operator represents the difference between the kinetic and potential energy of the system.

How is the Hamiltonian operator used in solving problems in quantum mechanics?

The Hamiltonian operator is used in various methods of solving problems in quantum mechanics, such as the time-independent and time-dependent Schrodinger equations. It is also used in calculating the energy spectrum of a quantum system and determining the probability of a particle being in a certain state.