Question about the force from a photon on a mirror

In summary, the correct formula for finding the force exerted by a flashlight beam on a perfect mirror is F = 2p/t, where p is the momentum and t is the time. This is because the perfect mirror reflects all of the light, resulting in a change of momentum that is twice the value of the initial momentum.
sharkybait

Homework Statement

My homework question is: A flashlight beam produces 2.5W of electromagnetic radiation in a narrow beam. Although the light it produces is white ( all visible wavelengths), make the simplifying assumption that the wavelength is 550 nm, the middle of the spectrum. What force would the beam exert on a perfect mirror ( reflects light completely)?

Homework Equations

E=hc/wavelength
Force=momentum/Time
Power=Energy/Time
E=pc

The Attempt at a Solution

We need to find the force so I decided the best way to go about this is to use the relationship F=Momentum/Time.

1. E=hc/wavlength used to find the momentum P=E/C.
2. Once I found the momentum I used the relationship Power=Energy/Time and then solved for Time yielding Time = Energy/Power.

3.Now that I had both the Momentum and Time I simply solved the equation F=momentum/time.

The answer I am supposed to get is 1.67*10^-8 N while the answer I got was 8.36*10^-9 N. The correct answer turns out to be exactly two times the answer I calculated. Could anyone give me some insight into why this is the case? I think there is some conceptual aspect to this problem I may be missing. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello there,

here is the explanation :

what you did is absolutely correct, except for the Force formula.

The force is the change of momentum per unit of time and not the value of the momentum per time. So its F = dp/dt and not F = p/t

Therefore, the conceptual aspect that you missed in the problem is "the perfect mirror" (reflects light completely). The force needs to be twice the momentum/time value because the flashlight beam is totally reflected when it hits the mirror (100% reflexion)

The force formula should be then : F = 2p/t which explains why the correct answer is exactly twice the one you obtained

joeghal87 said:
Hello there,

here is the explanation :

what you did is absolutely correct, except for the Force formula.

The force is the change of momentum per unit of time and not the value of the momentum per time. So its F = dp/dt and not F = p/t

Therefore, the conceptual aspect that you missed in the problem is "the perfect mirror" (reflects light completely). The force needs to be twice the momentum/time value because the flashlight beam is totally reflected when it hits the mirror (100% reflexion)

The force formula should be then : F = 2p/t which explains why the correct answer is exactly twice the one you obtained
Thanks for the help!

Related to Question about the force from a photon on a mirror

1. What is the force from a photon on a mirror?

The force from a photon on a mirror is known as radiation pressure. When a photon, which is a particle of light, strikes a mirror, it exerts a tiny force on the mirror due to its momentum. This force can be calculated using the formula F = (2E/c), where E is the energy of the photon and c is the speed of light.

2. How does the force from a photon on a mirror affect the mirror's motion?

The force from a photon on a mirror is very small, so it does not significantly affect the mirror's motion. However, over a large number of photons, the cumulative effect of radiation pressure can cause the mirror to move slightly. This is known as the radiation pressure effect and is used in various scientific applications.

3. Can the force from a photon on a mirror be measured?

Yes, the force from a photon on a mirror can be measured using specialized equipment such as an optical trap. This equipment uses laser beams to trap and manipulate microscopic objects, allowing for the measurement of very small forces, including the force from a single photon on a mirror.

4. How does the angle of incidence affect the force from a photon on a mirror?

The angle of incidence, which is the angle at which a photon strikes a mirror, does not affect the force from the photon on the mirror. This is because the force from a photon on a mirror is perpendicular to the mirror's surface, regardless of the angle at which the photon strikes.

5. Is the force from a photon on a mirror a conservative force?

No, the force from a photon on a mirror is a non-conservative force because it does not depend on the position or path of the mirror. It only depends on the momentum of the photon and the properties of the mirror's surface. This means that the work done by the force from a photon on a mirror is not path-independent, unlike conservative forces such as gravity or spring force.