Question about the double-slit experiment

In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of the double-slit experiment and how observation affects the wave function. The speaker proposes the idea that observation causes the wave function to collapse and become infinite, leading to uncertainty. They also discuss the idea of limited possibility and how observation may exceed those limitations, causing the collapse of the wave function. The other person expresses confusion and suggests rephrasing, but the speaker clarifies that observation reduces the wave to a single possibility, as opposed to the opposite.
rlinsurf
In the double-slit experiment, an interference pattern emerges, until observed, whereby there emerges no diffraction pattern. I was thinking about this, and the following occurred to me. I was hoping someone could tell me if I was approaching a better understanding...

When observed, the wave function collapses because it becomes infinite.

All certainty is uncertain, outside the parameters of its certainty. In other words, limited possibility can only be understood as limited, relative to all the possibilities that it is not. If the parameters within which possibility is limited are exceeded, then by definition, they have become limitless.

Observation, being outside the parameters of limited possibility, must then, exceed those limitations. The wave, the expressed mathematical function of a set of limited possibilities -- relative certainty -- becomes infinitely uncertain, and so collapses.

Is that it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Err, I do not really understand what you are trying to say at all, but I think I can safely say that no, that's not it. Perhaps try rephrasing.

Hm. Maybe you're right...

Ok, so then it would be the exact opposite? The wave is a function of a set of possibilities, and under observation, because of Heisenberg, the wave is reduced to a single possibility?

Related to Question about the double-slit experiment

1. What is the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment is a famous experiment in quantum physics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light and matter. It involves sending a beam of particles, such as electrons, through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen behind the slits.

2. How does the double-slit experiment work?

In the double-slit experiment, a source of particles is aimed at a barrier with two parallel slits. On the other side of the barrier, a screen is placed to detect the particles. When the particles pass through the slits, they interfere with each other and create an interference pattern on the screen, which is a characteristic of wave behavior. This shows that particles have wave-like properties.

3. What is the significance of the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment has significant implications for our understanding of the nature of light and matter. It demonstrates that particles can behave as waves, challenging the traditional notion of them as solid, localized objects. This experiment also played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics and our understanding of the fundamental principles of the universe.

4. What are the real-life applications of the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment has several real-life applications, such as in electron microscopy, where it is used to produce images of atomic and molecular structures. It is also used in diffraction gratings, which are used in spectrometers to separate and analyze light of different wavelengths. Additionally, the principles of the double-slit experiment have contributed to the development of technologies such as computer chips and lasers.

5. Are there any variations of the double-slit experiment?

Yes, there are several variations of the double-slit experiment that have been performed over the years. For example, the delayed-choice quantum eraser experiment involves adding a detector to one of the slits, which allows scientists to observe whether the particles behave as waves or particles. Another variation is the Mach-Zehnder interferometer, which uses two beams of light instead of particles to demonstrate wave interference.