Question about the concept of electricity in solar cells.

In summary, solar cells work by absorbing energy from incoming photons and releasing electrons, which are then replenished. Material doesn't run out of electrons, but if a solar cell is run in a vacuum it eventually won't produce electricity. Solar cells can be powered by a waterfall or other source of electrons.
LogicX
Ok so I understand how a voltage source works, with electrons flowing from a high potential to a low potential. But I'm a little confused about solar cells. So the way they work is that an incoming photon strikes an electron and gives it enough energy to break free and create a current. But how do the electrons get replenished? Why does material not run out of electrons? Does it yank off electrons from surrounding air? If so, would running a solar cell in a complete vacuum eventually stop producing electricity?

Or what about, say, a power generator from a waterfall. As those turbines turn and release electrons, how do the electrons get back? Is there just a positive electric field surrounding any material being used like that?

If I am right, is this something that has to be accounted for? Like, you are doing a calculation to determine the output of a solar cell, but you have to take into account that at any given time there are going to be a less than ideal amount of electrons in the material to create a current?

Just something I have been thinking about for the past couple days, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There's always two wires; electrons go out one wire and the same number come in the other.

Where is this endless supply of electrons coming from?

They are the ones that are already there and simply being pushed around in a circle around the circuit.

Imagine a pump with a hose running from the output and looping around to the input.

As it pumps, the same water goes round and round.

Ah, silly me, for some reason I was thinking of the electrons as actually having to go somewhere else to do work.

You know, I think that is one of the shortcomings of intro physics. They teach you all about equations and how to calculate different values about circuits and such, but they don't ever teach useful things like "this is how a current makes a motor turn", and it leads to misconceptions like I just had.

Related to Question about the concept of electricity in solar cells.

1. What is the concept of electricity in solar cells?

The concept of electricity in solar cells refers to the process by which solar cells convert sunlight into electrical energy. This is achieved through the photovoltaic effect, where photons from the sun's rays knock electrons loose from atoms, creating a flow of electricity.

2. How do solar cells capture and convert sunlight into electricity?

Solar cells are made up of layers of silicon, a semiconductor material. When sunlight hits the silicon, it causes electrons to be knocked loose from the atoms, creating a flow of electricity. The solar cell is designed to capture and direct this flow of electricity into a usable form.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of electricity production in solar cells?

The efficiency of electricity production in solar cells can be affected by a number of factors, including the amount of sunlight hitting the cells, the angle at which the cells are positioned, the quality of the materials used in the cells, and the temperature of the cells.

4. Can solar cells be used to power homes and businesses?

Yes, solar cells can be used to power homes and businesses. In fact, many homes and businesses around the world are now utilizing solar power as a clean and renewable energy source. Solar panels can be installed on roofs or in large solar farms to capture sunlight and convert it into electricity.

5. How does the electricity produced by solar cells differ from traditional electricity sources?

The electricity produced by solar cells differs from traditional electricity sources in that it is generated from a renewable source (the sun) and does not produce any harmful emissions or pollutants. It also relies on a decentralized system, with individual homes and businesses generating their own electricity, rather than relying on large power plants.