Question About Text: Example 4.1 on Page 35-6

In summary, the conversation discusses a newly purchased textbook that is less comprehensive than another book and written at an undergraduate level. The person has a question about an example in the book and receives an explanation. They also mention liking the textbook and comparing it to others they have used. The conversation ends with a mention of a PDF version of the other book available online and the preference for a physical copy.
mpresic3
I just purchased this text. It is less comprehensive than the book by Adler, Bazin, Schiffers, and is written at an (mostly) undergraduate level.
I have a problem with example 4.1 on page 35-6. What is meant by the down-arrow followed by the 1 in two equations 4.6-a, b? I am not sure this is the right place for this thread, but I thought I would post it here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Post the equations if you want a helpful reply.

Likes malawi_glenn
It's just saying that in the matrix ##({T^i}_j)=(\partial \bar{x}^i/\partial x^j)## the index ##i## labels the rows.

BTW I like this textbook very much. It's using much of the material in the older book but it's less advanced, i.e., an introductory book at the undergrad rather the graduate level.

OK, now I get it.

I borrowed the older book from the library and I have been using it. The new book's approach is definitely similar to the older one. I was disappointed at the undergraduate level but, of course, it is more current than the older book. I also like Hartle for undergrad but this textbook treats the subject differently. It may be more instructive than Hartle's "physics first" approach. The problems seem well chosen, but I am still examining the book, and it has only been 5 days.

There is a pdf copy on the net of Adler, Bazin, ... but I detest reading textbooks on the computer. I even thought of printing myself a copy but I do not know if a bindery would bind it. Now with Amazon, it is better to buy an old copy.

Likes vanhees71