Question about surface area/ volume

In summary, when dropped from a high place, a smaller animal will experience less impact force compared to a larger animal due to its smaller surface area and cross-sectional area. This is because the gravitational force acting on the larger animal is greater, and its terminal velocity will be higher, resulting in a greater impact force upon hitting the ground. Additionally, larger animals need proportionally shorter and thicker legs to support their weight, which also reduces their ability to cope with a drop from a height. The concept of air resistance also plays a role, as the larger animal will experience greater air resistance and reach a higher terminal velocity, resulting in a greater impact force.
DevPhysics

Homework Statement

We have two animals. One of them is as big as an elephant or it's an elephant and the other one is a small animal as a cat. When we drop them from a high place, the smaller animal hurts less compared to the bigger one. Why?

Homework Equations

Surface area / volume

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not really sure. But maybe it can be something about durability(Cross-sectional area/volume). Or the smaller one hurts less because he has a less surface area so when it hits the ground it receives less force compared to other. I am not so sure that's why I'm asking

P.S. This is my first time on the forums and I am not a native speaker. So there can be some wrong usage of the words. But I hope you understand what I mean. In this unit we are learning how to calculate durability of the objects like cubes, spheres etc. Thank you for your understanding.

Physics news on Phys.org
A crude analysis (and I suspect that is what is sought here) would say that the an animal's ability to cope with a force from the ground depends on surface area of the feet (and cross-sectional area of the leg bones), whereas the force to be borne varies according to the mass (and hence the volume).
However, this overlooks the fact that a larger animal would also have longer legs, and thus be able to spread the landing impact over a longer distance. So the energy it can absorb on landing should be in proportion to its mass, thereby allowing it land from the same height as a smaller animal without any greater harm.
The real answer must be more subtle. A large animal must be able to bear more weight even when standing still. This time the longer legs won't help, so the animal needs different body proportions. The legs need to be disproportionately stouter. If you took the body plan of a cat and magnified it to the size of an elephant its legs would be too thin to take its weight. Merely making the legs thicker would make them massive, and presumably too costly, so instead the leg ratios are adapted. An elephant has a much shorter lower leg section and much straighter legs, both of which reduce its ability to cope with a drop from a height.

Likes 1 person
Hi haruspex,

Thank you so much for you answer. I think this is what I was looking for. And also I want to know what happens when the animals don't hit the ground on foot.(instead, they hit the groun with their body) So in this case, is it something about the surface are of the animals?

Thank you!

I would think this has more to do with resistance due to air. It is proportional to the cross-section of the animal. while the force of gravity is proportional to them mass, which is roughly proportional to the volume.

Likes 1 person
voko said:
I would think this has more to do with resistance due to air. It is proportional to the cross-section of the animal. while the force of gravity is proportional to them mass, which is roughly proportional to the volume.
Yes, I meant to cover that too, but forgot. And rereading the OP I see it says 'high place' so most likely it is intended as more to do with air resistance.

Likes 1 person
Hi,
First thank you for your answers. I know the question's answer depends on a lot of things. And I am so confused right now. To sum up In this unit we are learning durability of the objects and surface area/volüme ratios of the objects. So long story short the first one says, a larger animal needs shorter and thicker legs because it has to bear more weight. And this reduces its ability to cope with a drop from a height. I get it. But I am confused about the other answers. I would be grateful if you could make it clear.
My question on my notebook is "Small animals hurts less compared to larger animals when they hit the ground. Why?"
Thank you so much.

DevPhysics said:
Hi,
First thank you for your answers. I know the question's answer depends on a lot of things. And I am so confused right now. To sum up In this unit we are learning durability of the objects and surface area/volüme ratios of the objects. So long story short the first one says, a larger animal needs shorter and thicker legs because it has to bear more weight. And this reduces its ability to cope with a drop from a height. I get it. But I am confused about the other answers. I would be grateful if you could make it clear.
My question on my notebook is "Small animals hurts less compared to larger animals when they hit the ground. Why?"
Thank you so much.
Air resistance ('wind resistance') depends on speed, shape, and cross-sectional area. Assuming the first two are the same for both animals, an animal of twice the linear dimension has four times the air resistance but eight times the gravitational force. That means its acceleration under gravity will be closer to the full value of g. From a sufficiently great height, an animal/object will reach 'terminal velocity', i.e. that speed at which its air resistance balances the gravitational force and it no longer accelerates downwards. The larger the animal the greater the terminal velocity. An ant falls quite slowly.

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
Air resistance ('wind resistance') depends on speed, shape, and cross-sectional area. Assuming the first two are the same for both animals, an animal of twice the linear dimension has four times the air resistance but eight times the gravitational force. That means its acceleration under gravity will be closer to the full value of g. From a sufficiently great height, an animal/object will reach 'terminal velocity', i.e. that speed at which its air resistance balances the gravitational force and it no longer accelerates downwards. The larger the animal the greater the terminal velocity. An ant falls quite slowly.

Thank you soo much! I think this's what I am looking for. Now everything is clear.
Thank you again and have a great day!

Related to Question about surface area/ volume

Q: What is the difference between surface area and volume?

Surface area refers to the total area that is exposed on the surface of an object, while volume refers to the amount of space that an object occupies.

Q: How do you calculate the surface area of an object?

The formula for calculating surface area varies depending on the shape of the object. For example, the surface area of a cube is calculated by finding the area of each of its six sides and adding them together.

Q: What is the importance of knowing the surface area and volume of an object?

Knowing the surface area and volume of an object can help determine its physical properties and how it will interact with other objects or substances. It is also useful in fields such as architecture, engineering, and chemistry.

Q: How does changing the surface area or volume of an object affect its properties?

Changing the surface area or volume of an object can alter its strength, weight, and how it interacts with its surroundings. For example, increasing the surface area of a ship's hull can improve its stability in rough waters.

Q: Can surface area and volume be used to predict the behavior of an object?

In some cases, yes. For example, the surface area and volume of a balloon can be used to predict how it will expand or contract when heated or cooled. However, other factors such as material composition and external forces also play a role in an object's behavior.