Question about static equilibrium

In summary: A=0, -20(5.3m)+fP(5.3)+nB(10.6)=0 ... is any of this looking right? i need to get this turned in so some solid hint would be very nice.You have not correctly solved for fP.
bioengi12345

Homework Statement

A Ladder weighs 20 Lbs. IT rests against a smooth wall at point B. Theta=45. If you pull the ladder at its midpoint, how much force is needed to make it slide at point A? u=.6.
The ladder is 15 ft long, Point b is the top and point A is the bottom. 45 Deg is the bottom angle.
Force of pull= 20lb. Now i think the number worked out this was just cause the angle is 45 degrees and gravity as well as the force of the pull act about the same point, however, this just seems like that it would take to tip the ladder backwards, not make it slide. I am not really sure where to go from here.

Homework Equations

(sum of forces in x dir) : Force of pull - force of static friction = 0

(sum of forces in y dir) : -20 + normal force at A = 0

(sum of moments about A) : -20lb(5.3m)-force of pull(5.3m) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Force of pull= 20lb. Now i think the number worked out this was just cause the angle is 45 degrees and gravity as well as the force of the pull act about the same point, however, this just seems like that it would take to tip the ladder backwards, not make it slide. I am not really sure where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone have any ideas?

You forgot the normal force from the wall.
To make the ladder just slide, but not tip over, both the resultant force components and the torque have to be zero.

So it would be: Force of pull - Force of static friction - normal force of the wall=0? Then i have 3 unknowns. Sorry I am normally really good at this stuff, the whole idea of equilibrium gets me sometimes.

bioengi12345 said:
So it would be: Force of pull - Force of static friction - normal force of the wall=0? Then i have 3 unknowns. Sorry I am normally really good at this stuff, the whole idea of equilibrium gets me sometimes.
Three unknowns is fine since in 2D statics problems you have three equations.
Is the direction of pull given?

pulling horizontally away from the wall at the midpoint.

This problem actually has four unknowns, but also four equations. (although only three are needed to solve it)

bioengi12345 said:
pulling horizontally away from the wall at the midpoint.
Ok, so have you drawn a free body diagram? Why do you write "force of pull = 20 lbs"? Isn't that what we're to find?
Create symbols for the known and unknown forces and lengths. Work symbolically until the final step. Write three equations: one for horizontal force balance, one for vertical force balance, and one for torque balance. (Choose a reference axis for the torque.)

Im trying to say that is what i got as the answer but i don't think its right. I haven't made a whole lot of progress here some direction would be very helpful. i have set up 3 equations. sum of f in x ( fp-fs-nB=0, -20+nA=0, -20(5.3m)+fP(5.3)+nB(10.6)=0 ... is any of this looking right? i need to get this turned in so some solid hint would be very nice.

bioengi12345 said:
Im trying to say that is what i got as the answer but i don't think its right. I haven't made a whole lot of progress here some direction would be very helpful. i have set up 3 equations. sum of f in x ( fp-fs-nB=0, -20+nA=0, -20(5.3m)+fP(5.3)+nB(10.6)=0 ... is any of this looking right? i need to get this turned in so some solid hint would be very nice.
When you put all of that together, what do you get for fP ?

bioengi12345 said:
First, you had not previously posted that version of your equations; second, you have a sign wrong in the x direction balance; third, you would do well to work entirely symbolically as I suggested (it avoids the units conversion); fourth, you have not used the fact that you are interested in the case where the friction is only just enough to balance the forces.
I presume you no long claim 20lbs as an answer.

bioengi12345 said:
Im trying to say that is what i got as the answer but i don't think its right. I haven't made a whole lot of progress here some direction would be very helpful. i have set up 3 equations. sum of f in x ( fp-fs-nB=0,
Check the sign in front of nB.
Use the relation between NA and fs.

Related to Question about static equilibrium

1. What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which the forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in a constant velocity or no movement at all. This means that the object is not accelerating and remains at rest or in a state of constant motion.

2. How is static equilibrium different from dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium refers to a stationary or unmoving object, while dynamic equilibrium refers to an object in motion at a constant velocity. In dynamic equilibrium, the forces acting on an object are also balanced, but the object is still in motion.

3. What are the three conditions necessary for static equilibrium?

The three conditions for static equilibrium are: 1) the net force acting on the object must be zero, 2) the net torque (rotational force) acting on the object must be zero, and 3) the object must be at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

4. How can you determine if an object is in static equilibrium?

An object is in static equilibrium if it meets the three conditions mentioned above: the net force and net torque must be zero, and the object must be at rest or moving at a constant velocity. This can be determined by using the equations of static equilibrium, which involve calculating the sum of all forces and torques acting on the object.

5. What are some real-life examples of static equilibrium?

Some examples of static equilibrium in everyday life include a book resting on a table, a ladder leaning against a wall, or a person standing still on the ground. In all of these cases, the forces acting on the objects are balanced, resulting in a state of static equilibrium.