Question about space travel and the human body

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a human being able to accelerate to and decelerate from the speed of light within their lifetime without experiencing more than 5 Gs of force. The suggestion is made to calculate the number of seconds in an average person's life and the speed of 5 Gs in meters per second per second, and then compare it to the speed of light. The idea of taking relativistic effects into account is also mentioned.
Keith
Hello I have a question that's been bothering me for a while now and I figured I'd post it here to see if anyone could put my mind at ease. (Sorry if I accidentally posted this in the wrong place)

Given that people can only withstand a certain amount of force on their bodies (about 5 Gs), would the amount of time that it would take to reach (near) the speed of light exceed the length of the average life expectancy? In other words, is it possible for a human to accelerate to (and decelerate from) the speed of light within a lifetime without experiencing more than 5 Gs of force?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
That's something you should be able to calculate for yourself. How many seconds does an average person live? How much is 5G, in meters per second per second? If you completely ignore relativistic effects, what speed would resulting from accelerating at that rate for a lifetime? How does this compare with the speed of light?

If it's close, you would have to go back and do the relativistic acceleration calculation to be sure. But if it's not even slightly close, you'll have your answer. Try it and see what you get...

Related to Question about space travel and the human body

1. How does space travel affect the human body?

Space travel can have various effects on the human body due to the extreme conditions in space. Some common effects include muscle and bone loss, changes in vision, and a weakened immune system. The lack of gravity and exposure to radiation are major contributors to these effects.

2. How do astronauts maintain their health during space travel?

Astronauts must follow strict exercise routines and adhere to a balanced diet in order to maintain their health during space travel. They also undergo regular medical check-ups and may use specialized equipment, such as treadmills and resistance machines, to combat the effects of weightlessness on their bodies.

3. Can humans survive long-term space travel?

While humans have completed missions lasting several months in space, long-term space travel, such as interplanetary missions, is still being researched. The effects of long-term exposure to microgravity and radiation need to be better understood before humans can safely endure extended periods of time in space.

4. How does the human body adapt to the zero-gravity environment of space?

The human body undergoes several physiological changes in response to the zero-gravity environment of space. The lack of gravity causes bodily fluids to shift upwards, leading to changes in blood pressure and fluid distribution. The body also experiences muscle and bone loss due to the lack of weight-bearing activities.

5. What are the potential risks of space travel on the human body?

Aside from the well-known effects on the human body, such as bone and muscle loss, space travel also poses other risks. Exposure to high levels of radiation can increase the risk of cancer, and the lack of gravity can affect the cardiovascular system and impair the body's ability to fight off infections. Mental health and psychological well-being can also be affected by the isolation and confinement of space travel.