Question about Significant Figures

In summary, the conversation discusses significant figures and how they relate to measuring. It is noted that the longer the time interval is measured, the more precise the data will be. However, the accuracy of an operation involving significant figures is limited by the least accurate number.
Mr Davis 97
I have a question about sig figs and how they relate to measuring. Say I am finding the velocity of a small object. From an experiment, I gather the data that the object moved .0765 meters in .07 seconds. As one can tell, my watch is less precise than my fancy ruler. Using these data, I calculate the velocity my dividing .0765 m by .07 s. My question is, how many significant figures will the resulting calculation have? I'm sure that it will be 1 significant figure since the time measurement only has one. However, if this is true, would it mean that if I measured the time interval to, say, 1 second, the velocity calculation would have 2 significant figures? Is it true that the longer I measure the time interval, the more precise it will be?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the time interval was 1.07s then that is 2sig fig, yes, even though the measurement is no more accurate.
sig fig is very rough. If this worries you, then use error propagation instead.
Generally, the longer you measure the better the data... if your stopwatch is accurate to 100th of a second, then it may be 100% wrong if you timed only 0.01s or so, but 1% wrong if you timed 1s.
Per your example, you will find you have more confidence measuring longer times and, thus, slower speeds.

Mr Davis 97 said:
I have a question about sig figs and how they relate to measuring. Say I am finding the velocity of a small object. From an experiment, I gather the data that the object moved .0765 meters in .07 seconds. As one can tell, my watch is less precise than my fancy ruler. Using these data, I calculate the velocity my dividing .0765 m by .07 s. My question is, how many significant figures will the resulting calculation have? I'm sure that it will be 1 significant figure since the time measurement only has one. However, if this is true, would it mean that if I measured the time interval to, say, 1 second, the velocity calculation would have 2 significant figures? Is it true that the longer I measure the time interval, the more precise it will be?
Writing ".07" is a little ambiguous- it is not clear whether that is to have two significant figures or one. Better would be [itex]7.65 \times 10^{-2}[/itex] showing it has three significant figures and either [itex]7 \times 10^{-2}[/itex] or [itex]7.0 \times 10^{-2}[/itex] depending upon how many significant figures you intend. An operation Involving significant figures is no more accurate than the least accurate number.

Related to Question about Significant Figures

What are significant figures and why are they important?

Significant figures are the digits in a number that are considered to be accurate and precise. They are important because they provide information about the accuracy and precision of a measurement or calculation.

How do I determine the number of significant figures in a given number?

The general rule is to count all non-zero digits and all zeros between non-zero digits. For example, in the number 1.023, there are 4 significant figures. However, zeros at the beginning or end of a number may not be significant and should be ignored.

Can I round off significant figures?

Yes, you can round off significant figures to a certain number of digits depending on the desired level of precision. However, it is important to keep track of the number of significant figures throughout calculations to ensure accuracy.

What happens to significant figures in mathematical operations?

When adding or subtracting, the final answer should have the same number of decimal places as the number with the fewest decimal places. When multiplying or dividing, the final answer should have the same number of significant figures as the number with the fewest significant figures.

Are there any exceptions to the rules of significant figures?

Yes, there are a few exceptions such as exact numbers (numbers that are defined values, such as 1 inch = 2.54 cm) and numbers in scientific notation (all digits, including zeros, are significant). It is important to be familiar with these exceptions and use good judgement when dealing with significant figures.