Triangle Functions for Mathematical Analysis - Get Feedback Now!

In summary, the conversation is about a person working on mathematical functions and seeking feedback. They have tried two different methods and found that the area for a triangle with sides 3, 1, and 2 is 0 square units. This is because the semiperimeter is 3, resulting in a 0 term when applying Heron's Formula. Another person suggests that the height of the triangle is also 0, making it impossible to draw. The original person realizes their mistake and apologizes for their error.
Physics news on Phys.org
Seem to work. Although could just state the elementary formulae used. Having said that, it depends upon the audience.

most people wouldn't know how to use the formula if i state it...

i tried the first method

the area for triangle 3,1,2 is 0 square units

because the semiperimeter is 3, thus when you apply it to Heron's Formula it has a 0 term in the squareroot, since it's all multiplication, any term multiply by 0 would produce 0. Thus my functions works fine.

Or for a more "obvious" reason, if you try to draw a 3-1-2 triangle, you'll find its height is 0.

Originally posted by Hurkyl
Or for a more "obvious" reason, if you try to draw a 3-1-2 triangle, you'll find its height is 0.

As it has to be as 2+1 = 3.

oops, silly me. it was late and my brain wasnt working very well

Originally posted by On Radioactive Waves
oops, silly me. it was late and my brain wasnt working very well

Excuse...

What are mathematical functions?

Mathematical functions are a set of rules that relate one quantity to another. They take in a value or set of values as input and produce a single output value.

What are the different types of mathematical functions?

There are several types of mathematical functions, including linear, quadratic, exponential, logarithmic, trigonometric, and polynomial functions. Each type has its own unique characteristics and properties.

What is the purpose of mathematical functions?

The main purpose of mathematical functions is to describe and model real-world phenomena. They are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and computer science, to make predictions and solve problems.

How are mathematical functions represented?

Mathematical functions are often represented using equations, graphs, or tables. Equations show the relationship between the input and output values, graphs visually represent the function, and tables provide a list of input-output pairs.

What is the difference between a function and a relation?

A function is a type of relation where each input value is associated with only one output value. In other words, for every input, there is only one output. A relation, on the other hand, can have multiple output values for a single input value.