Question about refraction of light

In summary, Two students measured the refraction of light from acetone to air for several angles, with an angle of incidence of 30 degrees resulting in an angle of refraction of 42 degrees. The index of refraction for acetone can be calculated using Snell's Law, which gives the relation between the refractive index of the incident medium, the sine of the angle of incidence, the refractive index of the refracted medium, and the sine of the angle of refraction in the refracted medium. By using this equation, the index of refraction for acetone was found to be 1.36.
kevinf

Homework Statement

A pair of students measure the refraction of light in passing from acetone into air for several angles. When the angle of incidence is 30, the angle of refraction is 42.
(a) What is the index of refraction n of the acetone?

Homework Equations

n=c/v

The Attempt at a Solution

i am not sure if there is another way to calculate the index of refraction. i can't find v (speed of light in acetone) so i don't think the provided equation will work. is there another way to calculate it? i also searched up google for index of refraction for acetone and it gave me 1.36 but even that's not correct. any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Snell's Law. It gives the relation between the refractive index of incident medium, sine angle of incidence, refractive index of the refracted medium and sine of the angle of refraction in the refracted medium.

so just to make sure it would be sin(30)/sin(42) = n2/1? i just want to make sure since this is my last try

kevinf said:
so just to make sure it would be sin(30)/sin(42) = n2/1? i just want to make sure since this is my last try
The light is going from acetone to air. So it should be
sin(30)/sin(42) = 1/n2

Related to Question about refraction of light

1. What is refraction of light?

Refraction of light is the bending of light as it passes through different mediums, such as air, water, or glass. This is due to a change in the speed of light as it moves from one medium to another.

2. Why does refraction occur?

Refraction occurs because light travels at different speeds in different mediums. When light enters a medium with a different density, its speed changes, causing it to bend.

3. How does the angle of incidence affect refraction?

The angle of incidence, or the angle at which light enters a medium, affects the amount of refraction. The greater the angle of incidence, the greater the angle of refraction will be.

4. What is Snell's law and how does it relate to refraction?

Snell's law is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction. It states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is constant for a given pair of mediums.

5. How is refraction of light used in everyday life?

Refraction of light is used in various everyday applications, such as eyeglasses, cameras, and microscopes. It is also responsible for the formation of rainbows and mirages. In addition, refraction is used in the field of optics to design and improve lenses and other optical instruments.