Question about reflecting light off a mirror

In summary, mirrors reflect light by following the law of reflection, where light bounces off at the same angle it hits the mirror. This creates a reversed image due to the straight line reflection. The angle of reflection can vary depending on the angle of incidence. The smooth and flat surface of a mirror allows for clear reflections, while rough or curved surfaces can cause distortions. Mirrors can be made with various materials such as glass, metal, plastic, and even liquid.
chambers.keivn
Hello all,

I've got a question, obviously. I've got a light shining down from directly up above think laser, I want to reflect the light to hit the wall, redirect it 90 degrees. What angle would the mirror need to be to do this? For some reason I'm thinking 45 degrees.

Thanks,

Kevin S. Chambers

Science news on Phys.org

Related to Question about reflecting light off a mirror

1. How does a mirror reflect light?

When light hits a mirror, it bounces off at the same angle at which it hit the mirror. This is known as the law of reflection.

2. Why does a mirror create a reversed image?

When light reflects off a mirror, it bounces off in a straight line. This creates an inverted image because our brains perceive the image as coming from the opposite direction of the actual light rays.

3. Can light be reflected off a mirror at different angles?

Yes, light can be reflected off a mirror at different angles depending on the angle at which the light hits the mirror. The angle of incidence (angle at which light hits the mirror) is equal to the angle of reflection (angle at which light bounces off the mirror).

4. How does the surface of a mirror affect the reflection of light?

The surface of a mirror is typically smooth and flat, which allows for a clear and undistorted reflection of light. If the surface is rough or curved, the reflected image may be distorted or blurry.

5. What types of materials can be used to make a mirror?

The most common material used to make mirrors is glass with a reflective coating on one side. Other materials such as metal, plastic, and even liquid can also be used to create reflective surfaces.