Question about Quantum Effective Action

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a shifted action in calculating the Quantum Effective Action for a fixed field in Weinberg's QFT vol2. The author points out that this method includes disconnected graphs and addresses concerns about the measure not being invariant under shifts of the field. They also mention the relevance of Srednicki's book on this topic.
wphysics
I am working on Quantum Effective Action in Weinberg QFT vol2 (page 67).

In the last paragraph of page 67, the author said
"Equivalently, ## i \Gamma [ \phi _0 ] ## for some fixed field ... with a shifted action ##I [ \phi + \phi_0 ]## :
[tex] i \Gamma [ \phi _0 ] = ∫_{1PI, CONNECTED} ∏_{r,x} d\phi^r (x) exp(iI[\phi+\phi_0])[/tex]
In this equation, I don't understand two things;
First one is why we have to use a shifted action ##I [ \phi + \phi_0 ]##.
Second one is why we only take into account of one-particle irreducible and connected terms to get Quantum Effective Action for some fixed field ##\phi^{r}_0 (x)##.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Weinberg has also written there that at any place where [itex]\phi_0[/itex] appears in vertices or propagators within 1PI graph is also a place where an external [itex]\phi[/itex] line could be attached i.e. you can have reducible graphs made of irreducible ones.You can use exp(il-[itex]\phi_0[/itex]) so that you can include disconnected graphs because when doing calculation for n point function those disconnected terms will come out as phases and cancel in numerator and denominator.

Thank you for your answer, but I don't see why your answer is relevant my question and don't understand either.

In previous paragraph in Weinberg book, for general field ##\phi^r (x)##, ##i \Gamma[\phi(x)]## must be the sum of all one-particle-irreducible connected graphs with arbitrary numbers of external lines, each external line corresponding to a factor ##\phi##
I think this is kind of obvious, because we consider ##i \Gamma[\phi(x)]## as action and it gives full amplitudes, so the coupling constants in ##i \Gamma[\phi(x)]## should be the renormalized one, in other words, it has to take into account of all one-particle-irreducible graphs.

But, for fixed field, I don't understand why we have the sum of one-particle-irreducible graphs for the vacuum-vacuum amplitude, which has no external lines, and why we have to use a shifted action.

I am sorry, but could you explain in more detail?

Last edited:
This section is not up to Weinberg's usual standards of clarity. That "integral" is very weird; in particular, the measure isn't invariant under shifts of the field. (If it was, the result would have to be independent of ##\phi_0##.)

Try chapter 21 of Srednicki, draft version available here: http://web.physics.ucsb.edu/~mark/qft.html

I think the measure must not be invariant. If so, ##i \Gamma [ \phi_0 ] ## is independent of ##\phi_0##, and Weinberg mentioned about this point.

I have already read Srednicki book, but for me, that is not enough.

Thank you for your answer

Related to Question about Quantum Effective Action

1. What is quantum effective action?

The quantum effective action is a mathematical framework used in quantum field theory to study the behavior of quantum fields and their interactions. It is a functional of the fields that captures all of the quantum fluctuations and interactions in a given system.

2. How is quantum effective action different from classical action?

Quantum effective action takes into account the effects of quantum fluctuations and interactions, while classical action only considers the classical motion of particles. This makes quantum effective action a more accurate description of physical systems at the quantum level.

3. What is the role of quantum effective action in particle physics?

In particle physics, quantum effective action is used to calculate the probability amplitudes for different particle interactions and to predict the behavior of quantum fields in different energy scales. It is also used to understand the behavior of particles in extreme conditions, such as in the early universe or in black holes.

4. Can quantum effective action be experimentally verified?

While the concept of quantum effective action is a theoretical framework, its predictions can be experimentally tested. For example, the existence of the Higgs boson was confirmed through experiments that measured its effects on the quantum effective action of the Standard Model of particle physics.

5. What are the limitations of quantum effective action?

Quantum effective action is a powerful mathematical tool, but it has its limitations. It only applies to systems that can be described by quantum field theory, and it becomes increasingly complex as the number of particles and interactions in a system increases. It also does not take into account the effects of gravity, making it incompatible with theories of quantum gravity.