Question about probabilistic combinatorial maximization

In summary, this problem asks you to find the distribution of the sum of IID random variables, which is a problem that reduces to the sum of k IID variables and each variable has a binomial distribution corresponding to the positive part of the distribution of the X's.
sak2inf
Hello,

I have some question about probabilistic combinatorial maximization as follows:

Let X = {X_1, ..., X_n} be a set of i.i.d. positive random variables,
S = {s_i} be a set of all combinations of selecting m r.v.'s from X, and
Y(s_i) = the sum of r.v.'s in the combination s_i .
I would like to evaluate the expectation of max_{s_i \in S} Y(s_i) or find out its distribution.

Since I am not sure what this type of problem is called, I have not been able to search for the solution. Any help or pointer is appreciated. Thank you so much.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm -- I've never seen anything like this before, either.

First, for any given sample, the s_i that maximizes Y is going to be the one that includes all positive X's and leaves out all the negative ones. The number of positive X's will just be a binomial with p = Pr[X > 0] and N=n. Let's call that k. Then, those k X's will be IID, with the distribution being that of the original X, conditioned on X>0. If X has a PDF f(x), the PDF of the positive X's will be

[tex]
\begin{eqnarray*}
f^+(x) & = & \frac{1}{N}
\begin{array}{ll}
\{ &
\begin{array}{ll}
0 & x<0 \\
f(x) & x\geq 0
\end{array}

\end{array} \\

N & = & \int _0^{\infty }f(x)dx
\end{eqnarray*}
[/tex]

So your problem reduces to the sum of k IID variables, with k binomially distributed, and each variable having a distribution corresponding to the positive part of the distribution of the X's.

Still not a simple problem, but it begins to look tractable.

Thanks pmrw3. But, I should have added that X_i is positive r.v. only.

Well, in that case it's trivial. You obviously maximize the sum by summing up all the X's. So you just have the problem of finding the distribution of the sum of IID random variables.

sak2inf said:
Hello,

I have some question about probabilistic combinatorial maximization as follows:

Let X = {X_1, ..., X_n} be a set of i.i.d. positive random variables,
S = {s_i} be a set of all combinations of selecting m r.v.'s from X, and
Y(s_i) = the sum of r.v.'s in the combination s_i .
I would like to evaluate the expectation of max_{s_i \in S} Y(s_i) or find out its distribution.

Since I am not sure what this type of problem is called, I have not been able to search for the solution. Any help or pointer is appreciated. Thank you so much.

Here Z=max(...) is simply the sum of the m largest values of the X_k, i.e. the upper order statistics. Using the notation X_{1:n}<=...<=X_{n:n} for the order stats then Z=X_{n-m+1:n}+...+X_{n:n} and E[Z]=E[X_{n-m+1:n}]+...+E[X_{n:n}].

If the X_k are continuous then E[X_{k:n}] can be calculated as

E[X_{k:n}] = int_{-inf}^{inf} x*(n!/(k-1)!(n-k)!)*F(x)^(k-1)*(1-F(x))^(n-k)*f(x) dx

Thanks both pmrw3 and bpet for the replies. I think what bpet had is essentially the answer.

In addition, does anyone know if there is limiting result? For example, how Z scales when n -> infnity or when n,m -> infnity with fixed ratio m/n. Thank you.

The empirical cdf converges to the distribution cdf as n -> inf, so that implies that Z/m -> E[X|F(X)>1-m/n]. If m is fixed then Z/m -> xf (the right end-point of the distribution) or if m/n is fixed then Z/m -> E[X|X>F^{-1)(1-m/n)] and I guess if either of these are finite you could apply a CLT argument as well.

Related to Question about probabilistic combinatorial maximization

1. What is probabilistic combinatorial maximization?

Probabilistic combinatorial maximization is a mathematical method used to find the optimal solution to a problem where there are multiple possible combinations of elements. It involves using probability and combinatorics to evaluate and select the best combination.

2. How is probabilistic combinatorial maximization different from other optimization methods?

Unlike deterministic optimization methods, which always produce the same solution for a given problem, probabilistic combinatorial maximization takes into account the uncertainty and randomness in the problem. It provides a range of potential solutions with associated probabilities, allowing for a more flexible and adaptable approach.

3. What types of problems can be solved using probabilistic combinatorial maximization?

Probabilistic combinatorial maximization can be applied to a wide range of problems in various fields, including computer science, engineering, economics, and operations research. These may include resource allocation, scheduling, network optimization, and machine learning, among others.

4. What are the benefits of using probabilistic combinatorial maximization?

One of the main advantages of probabilistic combinatorial maximization is its ability to handle complex problems with a large number of variables and constraints. It also allows for a more realistic representation of real-world scenarios and provides a more robust solution compared to deterministic methods.

5. What are some common techniques used in probabilistic combinatorial maximization?

Some common techniques used in probabilistic combinatorial maximization include Markov chain Monte Carlo, simulated annealing, genetic algorithms, and stochastic gradient descent. These methods vary in their approach but all involve the use of probability and combinatorics to find the optimal solution.