Question about pressure inside closed flask

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of pressure and volume on liquid and gas in a closed container. The pressure inside a flask remains the same as atmospheric pressure when the flask is closed, but in the straw experiment the pressure decreases due to the loss of liquid. If a tank is filled with water and then pumped out, the pressure will decrease and the water may begin to boil.
msanx2
Let's imagine that a flask is initially opened and in contact with the atmosphere. I am thinking that when the flask is closed with a lid, the air density inside will be kept the same as outside. As so, the pressure inside should remain Patm:

P = (n/V).RT (n/V constant)

However, shouldn't this be the same rationale of the straw experiment? When one, after submerging the straw outlet, closes the top with the finger and the liquid remains inside the straw? The air pressure on top is no more Patm, but less.

Physics news on Phys.org
The difference is that the liquid in the straw feels a downward force from gravity and has an open path to leave the straw. In a flask, the liquid is supported by the bottom of the container, whereas in the straw it is the difference in air pressure at the top and bottom of the column of liquid that supports the liquid. Note that the pressure at the top of the column of liquid is initially the same as atmospheric pressure. It's only once you remove the straw from the water that a difference in pressure develops.

msanx2 said:
When one, after submerging the straw outlet, closes the top with the finger and the liquid remains inside the straw? The air pressure on top is no more Patm, but less.

That's not correct. The sequence is...

Bottom of straw submerged.
Top closed.
Pressure inside is still Patm.
Straw lifted out of liquid with some still in straw.
Pressure inside now less than Patm.

Thank you both. I think I got it. It's the fact that some small amount of liquid is lost that makes the pressure decrease. Like for example when a container is filled with water and has an outlet valve. If the lid is closed, liquid will flow out due to Patm, but at some point vacuum is created and the flow stops.

Just as another point. Imagine that I have an open tank, at 20ºC, in contact with the atmosphere. I fill it with water until half-volume an then I seal the tank. I am guessing that, at that moment, P = Pair + Pvap (water) = 101.325 kPa (because it was in mechanical equilibrium with the atmosphere before).

If then I start pumping water out (excluding any possible cavitation problems), until gas has 50x more available volume than before, then pressure should drop to around 2 kPa and the water vapor pressure at that temperature is 2.3 kPa. Then I assume water should start boiling.

Is this entire thinking correct?

I'm not sure what you mean. If your tank is half full of water, and you start pumping water out, the maximum available volume for the gas is only 2x the initial volume.

However, if the tank is 99% full, then pumping water out until the gas has 50x more volume available than before, then I believe the remaining water would indeed begin to boil.

Yes you're right.

msanx2 said:
Then I assume water should start boiling.

Boiling is really only rapid vaporization. Should be possible to reduce the pressure slowly enough so that it doesn't visibly "boil", but the end result will be the same.

Related to Question about pressure inside closed flask

1. What is pressure inside a closed flask?

The pressure inside a closed flask is the force exerted by the gas molecules on the walls of the flask due to their constant collisions.

2. How is pressure inside a closed flask measured?

The pressure inside a closed flask can be measured using a pressure gauge or a manometer.

3. What factors affect the pressure inside a closed flask?

The pressure inside a closed flask is affected by the temperature, volume, and number of gas molecules present in the flask.

4. How does the ideal gas law relate to pressure inside a closed flask?

The ideal gas law, PV = nRT, states that the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature and the number of moles present, and inversely proportional to the volume of the flask.

5. Can the pressure inside a closed flask change?

Yes, the pressure inside a closed flask can change if there is a change in temperature, volume, or number of gas molecules. It can also change if there is a reaction occurring inside the flask.