Question about polarization density

In summary, the given conversation discusses the dipole density of a sphere with radius R and center at (0,0,0), given by ##P\left(\vec{r}\right)=\alpha\left(R-r\right)\hat{z}## where r is the distance from the center of the sphere. The task is to find the bound charge density inside and on the surface of the sphere, the electric potential in the entire space, and the electric field inside the sphere and at r=R. The questioner is unsure of where to start and suggests converting to spherical coordinates. The expert suggests considering the equation that connects charge density with electric field and mentions the possibility of discussing ##E## and ##D## fields.
Guy ML

Homework Statement

Given a sphere with radius R, centered at (0,0,0), it's dipole density given as ##P\left(\vec{r}\right)=\alpha\left(R-r\right)\hat{z}## where r is the distance from the center of the ball.

I'm required to find:
  1. Bound charge density inside the sphere, bound charge density on the surface of the sphere.
  2. Electric potential in the entire space.
  3. Electric field inside the sphere and when r=R.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know where and how to start, I thought about converting to spherical coordinates because there is no dependency on ##\theta## or ##\phi## but I don't know how that'll help me.Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
In your course work, what equation connects charge density with the electric field. Have they talked about ##E## and ##D## fields?

Related to Question about polarization density

1. What is polarization density?

Polarization density is a measure of the electric dipole moment per unit volume of a material. In other words, it describes the extent to which the electric charge in a material is shifted from its average position.

2. How is polarization density different from electric displacement?

Polarization density and electric displacement are related but distinct concepts. While polarization density describes the net electric dipole moment per unit volume, electric displacement describes the amount of electric charge per unit area. In other words, polarization density is a bulk property of a material, while electric displacement is a surface property.

3. What causes polarization density?

Polarization density is caused by the alignment of polar molecules or atoms in a material in response to an external electric field. This alignment results in a separation of positive and negative charges, creating a dipole moment and thus, polarization density.

4. How is polarization density measured?

Polarization density can be measured using various techniques, such as the Pockels effect, Kerr effect, or piezoelectric effect. These methods involve applying an electric field to the material and measuring the resulting polarization or induced electric displacement.

5. What are the applications of polarization density?

Polarization density has many practical applications, including in electronics, optics, and materials science. For example, it is essential for the functioning of LCD screens in electronic devices and for controlling the properties of materials such as ferroelectric and piezoelectric materials.