Question about Plasma Windows & Interaction with Magnetic Fields

• Thread starter Halzman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plasma
In summary, a plasma window is a type of plasma containment system that utilizes a magnetic field to keep ionized gas in place. Only a fraction of the gas needs to be ionized and the plasma itself provides the necessary force to maintain the window. However, the strength and density of the window can be affected by the amount of gas ionized.
Halzman
I've been doing some reading about both hot and cold plasma, when I had stumbled upon on article talking about a plasma window. [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_window ] The article goes on to mention a plasma valve.

Now, from what I understand - a gas is ionized (turned into plasma) and then that plasma is contained within a magnetic field.

My question's are in regard to how the plasma interacts with the magnetic field.

Does the gas have to be continiously 'pumped' in order to maintain the plasma window? - or - does only a small portion of a gas have to be ionized, and then the plasma itself is attracted to the magnetic field and 'bleeds' throughout the field, covering it to form a plasma window?

In either case, is the amount of gas ionized have an effect on the plasma windows strength/density? Or is it because of something entirely different?

I apologize if I posted in the wrong section.

Physics news on Phys.org
Only some fraction of the atoms is ionized. The ions and electrons "resist" being moved orthogonal to magnetic field lines, providing the necessary force to keep the overall gas from expanding.

Related to Question about Plasma Windows & Interaction with Magnetic Fields

1. What is a plasma window?

A plasma window is a device used to separate two regions of gas under different pressures while allowing electromagnetic energy, such as light or microwaves, to pass through. It works by using a high-energy plasma to create a barrier between the two regions, which prevents the gas from mixing while still allowing energy to pass through.

2. How does a plasma window interact with magnetic fields?

A plasma window can interact with magnetic fields through a process called magnetohydrodynamic (MHD) interaction. This occurs when the charged particles in the plasma are affected by the magnetic field, causing them to move and generate electric currents. This interaction can be controlled and manipulated to modify the properties of the plasma window, such as its transparency or ability to block certain types of energy.

3. What are some potential applications of plasma windows?

Plasma windows have a variety of potential applications, including in vacuum systems where they can act as a barrier between different gas environments, in high-energy experiments where they can control the flow of energy, and in spacecraft propulsion systems where they can help to protect the spacecraft from atmospheric drag.

4. Can plasma windows be used in space?

Yes, plasma windows have been successfully tested and used in space. They can be used to create a barrier between different gas environments in spacecraft, as well as to protect spacecraft from the harsh conditions of space, such as radiation and high-speed particles.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using plasma windows?

One potential drawback of using plasma windows is that they require a high-energy plasma, which can be difficult and expensive to produce. Additionally, they can be sensitive to external factors, such as temperature and pressure, which may affect their performance. However, ongoing research and advancements in plasma technology are addressing these challenges and making plasma windows a more viable option for various applications.