Question about phase transitions and PV, VT diagrams

In summary, when a gas is kept in a cylinder under constant pressure while being cooled, the volume of the gas would decrease as the temperature decreases. This would cause the gas to condense slowly into a liquid and eventually into a solid if the temperature continues to decrease. On a PT diagram, the pressure would remain constant while on a VT diagram, the volume would decrease in a straight line. For part B, if the container volume is exactly critical, the pressure would decrease as the temperature decreases. This can be better understood by looking at enthalpy or Mollier diagrams that show the phase transitions and critical point.
KiNGGeexD
Question:

A) Explain what happens when a gas is kept in a cylinder under constant pressure while being cooled. Assume that constant pressure is less than critical pressure. Draw PT and VT diagrams for this?

B) Describe and explain what is seen when a strong transparent container of constant volume, rather greater than critical volume of the gas it contains, is cooled. Assume that initial temperature is above the critical temperature. What would be the difference if the container volume were exactly critical?My attempt:

A) For question A I know that if the pressure is kept constant and the temperature is decreasing then the volume would also decrease with the temperature. So the gas would condense slowly into a liquid as the temperature decreases and if the temperature continued to decrease it would condense further into a solid

My problem was drawing the graphs, the way I thought it was initially down was on the PT graph pressure would be constant so it would just be a horizontal line and in the VT graph it would be a straight line but this has no information about the phase transitions involved?B) I haven't really got much on this question so far! All I know (think I know) is that if volume is held constant pressure would decrease as temperature decreases??

Any help would be great for this

Thanks in advanced :)

Physics news on Phys.org
In part A, on the VT diagram, if you have a pure substance, the volume change from a vapor to a liquid would all occur at constant temperature; this constant temperature would be the saturation temperature corresponding to system pressure.

Chet

Ok, thank you! Is everything else I said correct for part A?

You can see by eye what the answers to all these questions are by Googleing "enthalpy diagram" or "Mollier diagram." A typical pressure-enthalpy diagram shows lines of constant temperature, lines of constant specific volume, and even lines of constant entropy. They also show the two phase region, and the critical point. These diagrams are of great practical value and are also very educational. Check it out.

chet

Ok I will do! Thanks for all your help

Related to Question about phase transitions and PV, VT diagrams

1. What is a phase transition?

A phase transition is a physical change that occurs when a substance is heated or cooled. It is when a substance changes from one phase, such as solid, liquid, or gas, to another phase. This change can be reversible or irreversible, depending on the substance and the conditions it is subjected to.

2. What is the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature in a phase transition?

In a phase transition, pressure, volume, and temperature are all interrelated. According to the ideal gas law, PV=nRT, as the pressure increases, the volume decreases, and vice versa. Temperature also plays a crucial role as it affects the energy of the particles in a substance, which can lead to a change in phase.

3. What is a PV diagram?

A PV diagram, also known as a pressure-volume diagram, is a graphical representation of the relationship between pressure and volume. It is often used to illustrate the changes in these variables during a phase transition. The area under the curve on a PV diagram represents the work done on or by the system.

4. How do phase transitions affect the behavior of a substance?

Phase transitions can significantly impact the behavior of a substance. For example, during a liquid-gas phase transition, the substance will expand as it changes from a more compact liquid phase to a more spread-out gas phase. This can also affect other properties of the substance, such as its density, viscosity, and thermal conductivity.

5. What are some real-life examples of phase transitions?

Phase transitions occur all around us. Some common examples include the melting of ice into water, the boiling of water into steam, and the condensation of steam back into water. Other examples include the freezing of liquid nitrogen into solid nitrogen, the sublimation of dry ice into carbon dioxide gas, and the evaporation of sweat from our skin.