Question about partial derivatives.

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the mixed partial derivative of a multivariable function. The simplified equation for this is ∂2/(∂y∂t) = (∂z/∂x)(ⅆx/ⅆt) + (∂z/∂y)(ⅆy/ⅆt), but it is important to note that the order of differentiation matters. Additionally, there may be instances where only one variable needs to be differentiated.
BigFlorida
I have a multivariable function z = x2 + 2y2 such that x = rcos(t) and y = rsin(t). I was asked to find
upload_2015-10-6_20-22-15.png
(I know the d's should technically be curly, but I am not the best at LaTeX). I thought this would just be a simple application of chain rule:
2/(∂y∂t) = (∂z/∂x)(ⅆx/ⅆt) + (∂z/∂y)(ⅆy/ⅆt)
but apparently this is not the case. Could someone perhaps explain why this is not the right thing to do. When I did it this way I got 2x = 2rcos(t) = 2ycot(t) as my answer, but my book says the answer is -2y2cot(t)csc2(t) and I have no clue what they are doing.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
BigFlorida said:
I have a multivariable function z = x2 + 2y2 such that x = rcos(t) and y = rsin(t). I was asked to find View attachment 89836 (I know the d's should technically be curly, but I am not the best at LaTeX). I thought this would just be a simple application of chain rule:
but apparently this is not the case. Could someone perhaps explain why this is not the right thing to do. When I did it this way I got 2x = 2rcos(t) = 2ycot(t) as my answer, but my book says the answer is -2y2cot(t)csc2(t) and I have no clue what they are doing.

The derivative, ## \frac {∂^2z}{∂y∂t} ## is known as a mixed partial derivative. Since the expression contains only the function z differentiated w.r.t. y and t, there is no need to differentiate z w.r.t. x. You may differentiate z w.r.t. y first, then w.r.t. t next.

@SteamKing But does it not matter that x is a function of t, and (through the relation with r) a function of y? And the only way the book's answer makes sense is if you substituted rcos(t) = ycot(t) into x^2 then differentiate that, treating 2y^2 as a constant, which knocks it out completely.

BigFlorida said:
I have a multivariable function z = x2 + 2y2 such that x = rcos(t) and y = rsin(t). I was asked to find View attachment 89836 (I know the d's should technically be curly, but I am not the best at LaTeX). I thought this would just be a simple application of chain rule:

I'm confused as to what you're doing. In the first paragraph, you write ##\frac{\partial^2 z}{\partial t \partial y}##, but later you write the opposite order, ##\frac{\partial^2 z}{\partial y \partial t}##. The first mixed partial is the same as this: ##\frac{\partial }{\partial t} \frac{\partial z}{\partial y}##. In the second mixed partial, the differentiation occurs in the opposite order.

Here's the LaTeX I used, tweaked a bit so that it won't render:
##\frac{\partial^2 z}{\partial t \partial y}##
##\frac{\partial^2 z}{\partial y \partial t}##
##\frac{\partial }{\partial t} \frac{\partial z}{\partial y}##

Related to Question about partial derivatives.

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is represented by the symbol ∂ and is commonly used in multivariable calculus.

2. How is a partial derivative different from a regular derivative?

A regular derivative measures the rate of change of a function with respect to a single independent variable. A partial derivative, on the other hand, measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant.

3. Why are partial derivatives important?

Partial derivatives are important because they allow us to analyze how a function changes in multiple directions. This is especially useful in fields such as physics and economics, where variables often depend on other variables.

4. How do you calculate partial derivatives?

To calculate a partial derivative, you take the derivative of a function with respect to one of its variables, treating all other variables as constants. This involves using the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule and chain rule, as well as understanding the specific variables involved in the function.

5. In what real-world applications are partial derivatives used?

Partial derivatives are used in various real-world applications, such as in physics to calculate rates of change in physical systems, in economics to analyze relationships between multiple variables, in engineering to optimize designs, and in machine learning to optimize algorithms. They are also used in many other fields such as finance, biology, and chemistry.