Question about omega (angular velocity)

In summary: The time constant of an RC circuit is RC. It is the length of time it takes for the current in the circuit to change by 1/2.RC is not always equal to the time constant of an op-amp.RC is not always equal to the time constant of an RC circuit.RC is always the time constant of an RC circuit.
ThomasHW
For a capacitor in an AC circuit, does [tex]\omega[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{RC}[/tex] always?

I have voltages such as Vg = 2cos(105t) V. When finding the capacitance using the formula C = [tex]\frac{1}{jwc}[/tex] would I use [tex]\omega[/tex] = 105 or would I use [tex]\omega[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{RC}[/tex]?

Engineering news on Phys.org
ω=105 rad/s

RC is the time constant of an RC circuit.

Last edited:
Does it change anything if the circuit involves an op-amp?

When people say "RC" circuit they usually mean that there is no op-amp. Some op-amp circuits with resistor and capacitor still have the time constance RC.

The impedance of a capacitor is still 1/jωC in either case.

Last edited:
If I had a voltage Vg = 2cos(105t) V going into the op-amp, would I still use 105 rad/s as my angular velocity, or [tex]\frac{1}{RC}[/tex]?

Your question doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but ω is 105.

I said something wrong previous, the time constant is RC.

Sometimes when you are working with a system, the equation ωc = 1/RC would come up. This ωc is the cutoff frequency. Are you getting ω and ωc mixed up? ωc is a property of the circuit. ω is a parameter of the input.

Probably. I've had to use RC for a high-pass and low-pass filter, but I guess that's because of they have a cut-off frequency.

I guess I'm confused as to when RC and when to use 1/jwc.

ωc is a property of a circuit. Suppose you were to sketch the Bode plot of an RC low pass filter. For the magnitude plot, if you just draw the linear approximation, you get two lines segments that meet at a frequency. The frequency that they meet is ωc. Because ωc is where the curve bends, ωc is also called the corner frequency. The significant of ωc is that it is where the input sinusoid gets 'cutoff'.

ω is the frequency of the input. In this low pass example, if ω > ωc, then the input is cutoff.Zc(jω) = 1/jωC is the impedance of a capacitor. It is the ratio of the voltage and current across a capacitor. It is the ratio Vc(jω)/Ic(jω). It is analogous to resistance, where R = V/I.

Related to Question about omega (angular velocity)

1. What is omega in physics?

Omega (ω) is the symbol used to represent angular velocity in physics. It is a measure of how fast an object is rotating or moving around a fixed point.

2. How is omega calculated?

Omega is calculated by dividing the change in angle (θ) by the change in time (t). The formula for angular velocity is ω = θ/t.

3. What are the units of omega?

The units of omega are radians per second (rad/s) in the SI system of units. In other systems, it can also be expressed in degrees per second (deg/s) or revolutions per minute (rpm).

4. What is the relationship between omega and linear velocity?

There is a direct relationship between omega and linear velocity. As the angular velocity increases, the linear velocity also increases. This relationship is expressed as v = ωr, where v is the linear velocity, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the object.

5. How does omega affect rotational motion?

Omega plays a crucial role in rotational motion. It determines how quickly an object is rotating and also the direction of rotation (clockwise or counterclockwise). Changes in omega can also affect the acceleration, torque, and momentum of a rotating object.