Question about nature of light

In summary, it is possible for different wavelengths to travel at different velocities, however we do not know the entire spectrum of light.
Celeritas008
Hello everyone! This is my first post as a member to this forum and as such will start out with a question that hopefully more brilliant minds than mine can help me with. I am an amateur physicist and simply enjoy pondering theories in regards to many topics in the field. Today I was thinking about light and ran into a question that even the great Google couldn't answer for me, so here I am!
With respect to "Light" or the whole em spectrum, is it possible for different wavelengths to travel at different velocities?? Also, do we know the entire spectrum of light from end to end or are there still gaps in our current knowledge?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
All electro magnetic waves have the same speed in vacuum...the speed of light.
In different media the speed does depend on wavelength, the effect is called dispersion.
This is how a spectrum is produced when light travels through glass, water etc.

All wavelengths of light travel at same speed because EM waves have a "linear dispersion relation". There's no theoretical limit for how short or long wavelength EM waves could have, so the spectrum does not have 'ends'. If I remember correctly, the highest energy photon ever measured (from cosmic rays) had an energy of about one joule in a single photon!

Light travels at c in a vacuum. Frequency is irrelevant. For example, light from distant galaxies is red-shifted, but still arrives here moving at c.

Not sure what you mean by "gaps". The spectrum is a range of frequencies. What "gap" did you have in mind?

Thanks for the answer...so for EM waves to slow down at all, it depends solely on the medium it passes through? Thanks again for your help.

phinds said:
Light travels at c in a vacuum. Frequency is irrelevant. For example, light from distant galaxies is red-shifted, but still arrives here moving at c.

Not sure what you mean by "gaps". The spectrum is a range of frequencies. What "gap" did you have in mind?

By "gap" I meant in our current knowledge of the entire EM spectrum, but I think that has been answered in a previous post. Thanks!

Thanks for the resposes so far everyone... just to let everyone understand where my current line of thinking is going, I wss wondering if we might be wrongly going at the question of "faster than light" travel by assuming that there is something "other" than light that is faster. My thought was maybe there is a spectrum of light itself that IS faster...just a thought. :)

Celeritas008 said:
Thanks for the resposes so far everyone... just to let everyone understand where my current line of thinking is going, I wss wondering if we might be wrongly going at the question of "faster than light" travel by assuming that there is something "other" than light that is faster. My thought was maybe there is a spectrum of light itself that IS faster...just a thought. :)

In any medium other than vacuum you could say..." There is a spectrum of light that is slower!"

Related to Question about nature of light

1. What is the nature of light?

The nature of light is a complex topic that has been studied by scientists for centuries. In simple terms, light can be described as a form of energy that behaves both like a wave and a particle. It travels in a straight line and can be reflected, refracted, and absorbed by different materials.

2. How does light travel?

Light travels in a straight line at a constant speed of 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. This speed is known as the speed of light and is one of the fundamental constants of the universe. Light can also travel through different materials, but its speed may vary depending on the medium.

3. What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible frequencies of electromagnetic radiation. This includes all types of light, from radio waves with the lowest frequencies to gamma rays with the highest frequencies. The spectrum is divided into different regions, each with its own properties and uses.

4. How is light produced?

Light is produced when atoms or molecules release energy in the form of photons. This can happen through different processes such as thermal radiation, chemical reactions, or electrical discharge. In some cases, light can also be produced artificially, such as in light bulbs or lasers.

5. How does light interact with matter?

Light can interact with matter in various ways. When light hits an object, it can be reflected, transmitted, or absorbed. The color of an object is determined by which wavelengths of light it reflects or absorbs. Light can also cause chemical reactions, such as photosynthesis in plants, and can be used to manipulate matter at the atomic level through techniques like laser cooling.