Question about Medical Physics in Canada

In summary: Most medical physicists do their undergraduate work in physics or a related field, but there are a few that have obtained a degree in another medical science. After obtaining undergraduate degree, most medical physicists then seek a Master's degree in medical physics in order to improve their research skills. After the successful completion of the MSc, the majority of medical physicists then seek a Doctoral degree in medical physics in order to further their research and clinical capabilities.
hamsterpower7
Hello, I was reading through some threads and found out about medical physics
Even though I researched on google I got confused because the process of becoming one is bit different from states and Canada ( I want to know for Canada)

So here are some questions
1) Do we call the profession Medical Physicists?

2) Is it same as radiation oncologists?

3)Is CAMRT certification related to this job? or is it for other college programs?

4)Can you get a job right after PhD?

Also I wanted to make sure about this too; to become one you go through undergrad on physics or related degree then you apply for your MSc/PhD right?

Physics news on Phys.org
hamsterpower7 said:
1) Do we call the profession Medical Physicists?
The profession is "medical physics" and the professionals and "medical physicists."

2) Is it same as radiation oncologists?
A radiation oncologist is a medical doctor, who assesses cancer patients and prescribes radiation treatments. After they complete medical school they go through a ~ 5 year residency program to learn how to treat cancer with radiation. Many will also complete a fellowship after this before establishing a full-time, permanent practice.

3)Is CAMRT certification related to this job? or is it for other college programs?
CAMRT is the Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists. This is the professional organisation that credentials radiation therapists and other technologist-professionals such as MRI technologists in Canada. Medical physicists may assist this organisation in advisory or assisting roles, but professionally they have no official offiliation with CAMRT.

Canadian medical physicists are certified through membership with the Canadian College of Physicists in Medicine. Certification with the American Board of Radiology is also generally accepted at par. The national professional body in Canada is the Canadian Organisation of Medical Physicists.

4)Can you get a job right after PhD?
After the PhD you generally do a residency for roughly 2 years. This is a paid position where you generally make more money than a typical post-doc, so yes you can get a 'job' but generally you would be considered a physics resident and not yet a medical physicist. After 2 years of clinical experience (and soon that will also include having gone through a CAMPEP-accredited program) you are eligible to write the exam for membership with the college.

Also I wanted to make sure about this too; to become one you go through undergrad on physics or related degree then you apply for your MSc/PhD right?
That's correct.

hamsterpower7 said:

Off the top of my head, some other undergrad programs of interest would be MedRad, MedPhys, BiomedEng, EngPhys.

Related to Question about Medical Physics in Canada

1. What is Medical Physics?

Medical Physics is a branch of physics that focuses on the application of physics principles and techniques to the field of medicine. It involves the use of radiation, imaging, and other technologies to diagnose and treat various medical conditions.

2. What is the role of a Medical Physicist?

A Medical Physicist is trained in both physics and medicine and plays a crucial role in the development, implementation, and quality assurance of medical imaging and radiation therapy procedures. They ensure the safe and effective use of technology in healthcare and work closely with other healthcare professionals to provide accurate and reliable results for patient diagnosis and treatment.

3. How do I become a Medical Physicist in Canada?

In order to become a Medical Physicist in Canada, one must have a minimum of a Master's degree in Medical Physics or a related field. They must then complete a residency program and pass the certification exams administered by the Canadian College of Physicists in Medicine (CCPM).

4. What are the career opportunities for Medical Physicists in Canada?

There are many career opportunities for Medical Physicists in Canada, including working in hospitals, cancer treatment centers, research facilities, and government agencies. They can also pursue academic positions and work in industry settings.

5. How is the job market for Medical Physicists in Canada?

The job market for Medical Physicists in Canada is currently very good, with a high demand for qualified professionals in the field. The aging population and advances in medical technology have led to an increased need for Medical Physicists in healthcare, making it a promising career path for those interested in the field.