Question about main laser parameters

In summary, the main laser parameters that change with temperature are the wavelength of the laser light, the laser's power, and the laser's output beam quality.
DariusP
Okay, so I have to write a 5-10 page report about temperature's influence on main laser parameters but, first of all, I want to ask:
What are the main laser parameters?

At which parameters should I be looking at?

Science news on Phys.org
Can you post links to the reading you've been doing about this question? What have you found so far? And which kind of laser?

Well, the topic is pretty vague, doesn't specify what type of laser but I assume a some kind of solid-state laser or semiconductor laser (laser diode).

I don't really know from where or how to approach this topic. If I could know what are the main laser parameters that change because of temperature it would be much easier. I could begin reading about that certain parameter and its dependence on temperature, then go deeper into the physics of how and why it changes in that specific way and so on. But first - I need to know at which parameters I should be looking at.

Sounds like you should start with some Google searches:

Semiconductor laser diode physics

Temperature dependence laser diode

Since you have marked this thread level as "A", and you are working on your Master's degree, can you say a bit about your background so far in Solid State Physics?

berkeman said:
Sounds like you should start with some Google searches:

Semiconductor laser diode physics

Temperature dependence laser diode

Since you have marked this thread level as "A", and you are working on your Master's degree, can you say a bit about your background so far in Solid State Physics?
During my bachelor's degree I had a solid state physics course so I'd say I'm familiar with the basics.

DariusP said:
During my bachelor's degree I had a solid state physics course so I'd say I'm familiar with the basics.
Great! So please do the reading in the Google searches I suggested, and see if that gets you going. If you have questions about any of the equations or descriptions in that reading, please post links here with your specific questions. Thanks. :smile:

Likes davenn

Related to Question about main laser parameters

1. What are the main laser parameters?

The main laser parameters are wavelength, pulse duration, energy, beam divergence, and spot size. These parameters determine the characteristics of the laser beam and its effectiveness in different applications.

2. How does the wavelength affect the laser beam?

The wavelength of a laser beam determines its color and determines its interaction with different materials. Different wavelengths are better suited for different applications, such as cutting, welding, or medical procedures.

3. What is pulse duration and why is it important?

Pulse duration refers to the length of time the laser beam is active. It is an important parameter as it affects the amount of energy delivered to the target and the precision of the laser beam. Shorter pulse durations are more suitable for precision cutting and welding, while longer pulse durations are better for heat treatment and drilling.

4. How does energy affect the laser beam's intensity?

The energy of a laser beam determines its intensity, or power per unit area. Higher energy levels can result in higher cutting speeds and deeper penetration, but can also lead to heat damage or material splatter. It is important to carefully control the energy level for different applications.

5. What is the relationship between beam divergence and spot size?

Beam divergence refers to the spreading of the laser beam as it travels, while spot size refers to the diameter of the laser beam at a specific distance. The two are inversely related, meaning a smaller spot size corresponds to a larger beam divergence. A smaller spot size is desirable for precision applications, while a larger spot size is more suitable for welding or heat treatment.