Question about magnets repulsion

In summary, magnet repulsion is a phenomenon in which two magnets with the same poles facing each other will push away from each other instead of attracting. This is due to the interaction between the magnetic fields of the magnets, which causes a repulsive force. This repulsion can occur without the magnets physically touching each other, and can be observed in everyday objects such as refrigerator magnets and compasses.
Kristupas
Hello,

Imagine I have 2 magnets and they are repelling each other. Then I add a piece of iron in between them. Would they be attracted to the piece of iron?
Yes I could just check for myself, but I'm getting my first magnets shipment only next week and I would like to start working on my magnets project.

Physics news on Phys.org
The force might change, this depends on the geometry of the experiment.
In general, those systems are complicated once you have magnetic objects close to each other (relative to their size).

Related to Question about magnets repulsion

What is magnet repulsion?

Magnet repulsion is a phenomenon where two magnets placed near each other with the same poles facing each other will push away from each other instead of attracting.

Why do magnets repel each other?

Magnets repel each other because they have two opposite poles, north and south. According to the laws of magnetism, like poles repel each other while opposite poles attract. When two magnets with the same poles facing each other, the magnetic fields interact, causing a repulsive force.

What causes magnets to repel?

The repulsive force between magnets is caused by the interaction between the magnetic fields of the magnets. The magnetic field lines of the magnets are in opposite directions, causing them to push away from each other.

Can magnets repel without touching?

Yes, magnets can repel without touching each other. The repulsive force between magnets is based on the interaction of their magnetic fields, which can extend beyond the physical boundaries of the magnets.

What are some real-life examples of magnet repulsion?

Some examples of magnet repulsion in everyday life include refrigerator magnets pushing away from each other, two poles of a magnet repelling when brought close together, and two adjacent poles of a magnet in a compass causing the needle to move away from each other.