Question about limit of wave function as x goes to infinity

It is possible that this assumption is necessary for the normalization to hold, but it may also be an oversimplification. It would be interesting to explore this further.
vincent_vega
So I understand why the limit of the wave function as x goes to infinity is 0. But on pg 14 of Griffiths 2nd ed. qm for example, why does he call lim x[itex]\rightarrow[/itex][itex]\infty[/itex] ψ*[itex]\frac{dψ}{dx}[/itex] = 0? How can you assume that [itex]\frac{dψ}{dx}[/itex] doesn't blow up at x = ∞

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, vincent.

You have a good question there. It is possible to construct functions ψ(x) that go to zero at infinity but such that ψ*(x)ψ'(x) is not defined at infinity. For example ψ = sin[itex](x^4)/\sqrt{1+x^2}[/itex]

Griffiths wants to argue that the combination ψ*(x)ψ'(x) - ψ(x)ψ*'(x) goes to zero at infinity so that the normalization of the wavefunction is time independent. For any real wavefunction, you can see that this combination is identically zero for all x. However, it is possible to construct complex valued functions ψ for which the combination does not go to zero at infinity even though ψ goes to zero at infinity. For example ψ = [itex]e^{ix^4}/\sqrt{1+x^2}[/itex]. But this wavefunction is "pathological". For example, the expectation value of the kinetic energy operator is undefined for this function.

So, maybe the allowable wavefunctions are restricted to exclude these pathological functions. I don't know.

Last edited:
Interesting example - I'm guessing the class of allowed wavefunctions is pretty close to the class of functions for which an inverse Fourier transform exists. Probably this one fails the bounded variation test.

TSny said:
Hello, vincent.

You have a good question there. It is possible to construct functions ψ(x) that go to zero at infinity but such that ψ*(x)ψ'(x) is not defined at infinity. For example ψ = sin[itex](x^4)/\sqrt{1+x^2}[/itex]

Griffiths wants to argue that the combination ψ*(x)ψ'(x) - ψ(x)ψ*'(x) goes to zero at infinity so that the normalization of the wavefunction is time independent. For any real wavefunction, you can see that this combination is identically zero for all x. However, it is possible to construct complex valued functions ψ for which the combination does not go to zero at infinity even though ψ goes to zero at infinity. For example ψ = [itex]e^{ix^4}/\sqrt{1+x^2}[/itex]. But this wavefunction is "pathological". For example, the expectation value of the kinetic energy operator is undefined for this function.

So, maybe the allowable wavefunctions are restricted to exclude these pathological functions. I don't know.

thanks that makes sense.

do you have any idea why x*ψ(x)*ψ'(x) is defined to be zero at x = infinity? this also occurred in the example by griffiths. I am thrown off by the x in front of the expression

vincent_vega said:
thanks that makes sense.

do you have any idea why x*ψ(x)*ψ'(x) is defined to be zero at x = infinity? this also occurred in the example by griffiths. I am thrown off by the x in front of the expression

I don't know. It seems that Griffiths is making an assumption about the behavior of the wavefunction and its derivative at infinity.

Related to Question about limit of wave function as x goes to infinity

What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical description of the quantum state of a particle or system. It describes the probability amplitude of finding a particle in a specific location at a specific time.

What is the limit of a wave function?

The limit of a wave function is the value that the wave function approaches as a variable (such as position or time) approaches a certain value, typically infinity.

Why is the limit of a wave function important?

The limit of a wave function is important because it gives insight into the behavior of a particle or system at extreme values. It can also help determine the probability of finding a particle in a specific location or state.

What happens to the wave function as x approaches infinity?

As x approaches infinity, the wave function typically decreases in amplitude and becomes more spread out. This means that the probability of finding a particle at a specific location decreases as the distance from the origin increases.

Can the limit of a wave function be infinite?

Yes, the limit of a wave function can be infinite if the wave function does not approach a finite value at a certain point. However, this is not a common occurrence and typically only applies in special cases.