Question about international editions of textbooks?

In summary, the conversation discusses the arrival of an international edition of a chemistry textbook and the warning on its cover stating that it contains different content from the North American version. The speaker, who lives in Canada, questions the validity of this warning and considers comparing the table of contents to the US version. They also mention their experience with international editions of math textbooks, where the main difference was the use of the metric system.
ThousandFjord
The international addition of "Chemistry: The Molecular Nature of Matter and Change" I bought just arrived, and on the cover it says, "This International Student Edition is not to be sold or purchased in North America and contains content that is different from its North American version."

I live in Canada. Now I know there is no legal validity to the first part of that warning, but the part that worries me is the supposedly different content. The sellers on eBay of the international edition all stipulate that the content is identical, but now that I know it says directly on the book that the content is different, I'm not sure I should take off the cellophane.

Should I pay any attention to the content warning and resell the book, or is it just the publisher being conniving, like they are with their "not to be sold" garbage?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could compare the table of contents. I think the following link will have the TOC for the edition sold in the US:
http://catalogs.mhhe.com/mhhe/viewProductDetails.do?isbn=0077216504"

I don't know about chemistry books, but I've browsed through international editions of math textbooks in bookstores when I was in Korea, and in those books the differences were that they used the metric system for units instead of the US customary system.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Question about international editions of textbooks?

1. What is an international edition textbook?

An international edition textbook is a version of a textbook that is intended for use outside of the country in which it was originally published. These editions are often produced to make textbooks more affordable for students in other countries.

2. Are international edition textbooks the same as the original version?

No, international edition textbooks may have some differences from the original version. These can include different covers, page numbers, and even content. However, the core information and concepts should remain the same.

3. How can I tell if a textbook is an international edition?

International edition textbooks will often have a label on the cover or title page indicating that it is an international edition. The price may also be significantly lower than the original version.

4. Can international edition textbooks be used in my country?

Yes, international edition textbooks can be used in any country. However, it is important to check with your instructor or university to ensure that the content is appropriate for your course and that there are no restrictions on using international editions.

5. Are international edition textbooks legal to use?

Yes, international edition textbooks are legal to use. Publishers often produce these editions with the intention of making textbooks more affordable for students in other countries. However, it is important to purchase these textbooks from a reputable source and not to illegally share or distribute them.