Question about intermolecular forces in gases

In summary, the energy in a gas with a positive intermolecular potential is similar to the energy in a pendulum. The total energy in the cycle of a pendulum is constant, regardless of the amount of kinetic energy that is added during the compression and expansion phases.
Austin0
Hi, my question is this. Is a gas with a positive intermolecular potential like a gravity potential in a pendulum? By this I mean if you compress and the expand the gas the force goes from max potential to a minimum ,creating molecular acceleration in the process and then reverses the process with expansion , correct? PE <=> acceleration.
As I understand it this is similar to a pendulum, Grav P <=> acceleration.
Disregarding the small heat loss,,, isn't it true that the total energy of this reciprocal transformation is constant through the whole cycle in a pendulum?
Is this true with the potential in the gas ? Disregarding the kinetic energy added through the action of compression and the original kinetic energy,,,the PE <=> Kinetic energy total is constant throughout the process?

Any insight into this question would be apprecciated Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
See Joule-Thomson expansion/effect, and Joule-Thomson inversion temperature.

Bystander said:
See Joule-Thomson expansion/effect, and Joule-Thomson inversion temperature.

Thanks Bystander I should have specified a gas under the inversion temp.
Actually this whole question came from trying to understand the workings of the Linde J-T throttle oxygen cooling system.
IN cooling a volume of oxygen from ambient to liquid temp thru repeated cycles it seemed like a large amount of kinetic energy had to be conducted out of the system.
I think I understand the reduction of temperature through increased potential due to expansion but don't see how any energy could actually leave the system in that phase.

The only way it seemed to make sense was if compression exploited the force in the reverse direction allowing more energy to leave the system via the cooling interface in the high pressure phase of the cycle. But in my reading I never found this discussed , only reference to cooling by expansion. Excuse me if I am missing something fundamental this whole area is somewhat new to me.

Related to Question about intermolecular forces in gases

1. What are intermolecular forces in gases?

Intermolecular forces are the attractive or repulsive interactions between molecules in a gas. They are responsible for the physical properties of gases, such as boiling point and viscosity.

2. What are the different types of intermolecular forces in gases?

The three main types of intermolecular forces in gases are London dispersion forces, dipole-dipole interactions, and hydrogen bonding. London dispersion forces are the weakest and occur between all molecules. Dipole-dipole interactions occur between polar molecules, and hydrogen bonding occurs between molecules with a hydrogen atom bonded to a highly electronegative atom.

3. How do intermolecular forces affect the behavior of gases?

Intermolecular forces affect the behavior of gases by determining their physical properties, such as boiling point, vapor pressure, and surface tension. Stronger intermolecular forces lead to higher boiling points and lower vapor pressures, while weaker intermolecular forces result in lower boiling points and higher vapor pressures.

4. How are intermolecular forces related to the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law, PV = nRT, assumes that gas particles have no volume and do not interact with each other. However, in real gases, intermolecular forces play a role in the behavior of gases and can deviate from ideal gas behavior. For example, at high pressures or low temperatures, intermolecular forces become more significant and can cause gases to deviate from the ideal gas law.

5. How can intermolecular forces be measured or observed in gases?

Intermolecular forces can be measured or observed in gases through various techniques, such as measuring boiling points, vapor pressure, and surface tension. Additionally, spectroscopic techniques, such as infrared spectroscopy, can be used to detect the presence of intermolecular forces in gases by analyzing the vibrational and rotational motions of molecules.