Question about independent loop in a circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with three loops, where the textbook states that the loop with a 50[V] source is independent from the rest of the circuit. The reason for this is that the current induced from the source travels within the loop and has no potential difference to drive it into the external circuit. The individual's reasoning is correct and it is further rationalized by considering that the connections can be moved without changing the circuit.
Dethrocutionx
I just had a question pertaining a circuit that consists of 3 loops in the attached picture:

The textbook states that the loop inside with the 50[V] source is independent of the rest of the circuit, but I have a hard time rationalizing it. The only reason I feel it is the case is because the current induced from the source travels in the loop and at the end of the loop, has to choose between the outside loop with a resistance and a short circuit that connects to the 50[V] source once again, so it chooses the latter. Is my reasoning correct?

Thanks

Attachments

• QaboutCircuit.png
    QaboutCircuit.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 415
Physics news on Phys.org
Dethrocutionx said:
I just had a question pertaining a circuit that consists of 3 loops in the attached picture:

The textbook states that the loop inside with the 50[V] source is independent of the rest of the circuit, but I have a hard time rationalizing it. The only reason I feel it is the case is because the current induced from the source travels in the loop and at the end of the loop, has to choose between the outside loop with a resistance and a short circuit that connects to the 50[V] source once again, so it chooses the latter. Is my reasoning correct?

Thanks

Your reasoning is pretty good. Note that the "choice" the current makes concerns a wire segment (your short circuit) that has the same potential at both points where the loop uses it. There is no potential difference to drive the current out into the external circuit.

For additional rationalization "ammunition", consider that you can move the connection points of things along a wire any way you wish without changing the circuit. So move the two connections that form the bottom of the inner loop together, joining at a single point. You could even place that connection point on a "stem" connected to the bottom rail of the external circuit. If there's only one path, there's no circuit (closed loop) so no current can flow.

attachment.php?attachmentid=55626&stc=1&d=1360536915.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 492
Thank you so much for the explanation. The help is much appreciated :).

Related to Question about independent loop in a circuit

1. What is an independent loop in a circuit?

An independent loop in a circuit is a closed path of conductive material that does not intersect with any other paths in the circuit. It is also known as a "mesh" or "loop".

2. How is an independent loop different from a dependent loop in a circuit?

An independent loop is a loop that is not affected by any other loops in the circuit and can be analyzed separately. In contrast, a dependent loop is affected by other loops and cannot be analyzed independently.

3. Why is it important to identify independent loops in a circuit?

Identifying independent loops is important because it allows us to simplify the analysis of a circuit by breaking it down into smaller, independent parts. This makes it easier to apply circuit laws and solve for unknown quantities.

4. How do you determine the number of independent loops in a circuit?

The number of independent loops in a circuit is equal to the number of enclosed areas in the circuit diagram. Counting the number of enclosed areas can be done by visually inspecting the circuit diagram or by using Euler's formula: L = B - N + 1, where L is the number of independent loops, B is the number of branches, and N is the number of nodes.

5. Can an independent loop exist in a series circuit?

Yes, an independent loop can exist in a series circuit. In a series circuit, the current flows through each component in a single path, but there may still be multiple loops formed by the circuit's conductive material. These loops are considered independent because they do not intersect with each other.