Question about harmonic poential trap

• Thread starter KFC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Harmonic
In summary: Then it will heat up and cool down more slowly.In summary, the harmonic trap is used to create a lattice of waves in order to create a Bose-Einstein condensate.
KFC
Hi there,
I am reading something about the bose-einstein condensate, in this material http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/qubit/fetch.asp?url=groupwebsite/papers/paper103.pdf , it states something called harmonic trap. I read other introduction materials on bose-einstein condensate, it said that to create that condensate, applying the so-called magneto-optical trap and the a far-off resonant trap and evaporation. But after we get the condensate, all those trap are removed. So what is that harmonic trap actually? When is it applied and why we need that? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not so familiar with this kind of stuff. But I think that usually, you must keep the condensate in the trap. Otherwise, the condensate would interact with the environment, which would destroy the condensate.

Hi, I found some graphs on the last several pages of your link, which may provide some insight?
From what I know, a harmonic trap is basically a lattice of waves which are aligned and tuned to provide "nodes" between the waves for atoms to tend to settle into. I am not very familiar with this content yet, either, but I also remember this being used in conjunction with laser cooling if that helps.

Thanks all. Following some comments here, I am trying to search the related topic on the lattice of waves on bose-einstein condenstate, it seems that they use the standing wave to produce that lattice, is that why they call it harmonic? By the way, what confusing me is why they call it trap then? From some material I saw, the atom is freely moving in the lattice so I don't understand why it is trapped?

Harmonic I believe they use as refers to the frequency of the atoms in the configuration you would like to achieve, basically making little divots for what you want the arrangement to be, which isn't enough by itself. Then you get into laser cooling which is simply looking at the direction any of the atoms can go, if they are moving towards lasers from all direction the one ray it is moving towards is more likely to slow it down than any other could keep it going, because the opposite ray it is moving away from so has less energy doppler-wise.

Related to Question about harmonic poential trap

1. What is a harmonic potential trap?

A harmonic potential trap is a type of physical system used in experiments to confine particles or atoms in a specific space using a harmonic potential. This potential is created by trapping the particles in a region of space using electric, magnetic, or optical fields.

2. What is the purpose of a harmonic potential trap?

The purpose of a harmonic potential trap is to confine particles or atoms in a specific region of space for experimental purposes. This allows scientists to study the behavior and properties of these particles in a controlled environment.

3. How does a harmonic potential trap work?

A harmonic potential trap works by creating a potential well that traps particles in a specific region of space. This potential well is created by using electric, magnetic, or optical fields to create a force that pulls the particles towards the center of the trap.

4. What are the advantages of using a harmonic potential trap?

There are several advantages of using a harmonic potential trap in experiments. These include the ability to confine particles in a specific region of space, the ability to control the strength of the trap, and the ability to manipulate the particles in the trap using external forces.

5. What are the applications of a harmonic potential trap?

Harmonic potential traps have a wide range of applications in scientific research, including in the fields of atomic and molecular physics, quantum optics, and quantum information processing. They are also used in the development of technologies such as atomic clocks, precision measurement devices, and quantum computers.